Targeted incident at University Golf Club, RCMP say no risk to public at this time

The RCMP and IHIT are investigating a targeted shooting at the University Golf Club that occurred this morning.

The University RCMP received reports of a shooting at the golf club at 9:49 a.m., according to a release from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) Media Relations Officer Sgt. Timothy Pierotti.

According to the release, RCMP officers found a man suffering from gunshot wounds at the scene, who succumbed to the injuries. IHIT is now working with the University RCMP, RCMP Forensic Identification Section and BC Coroners Service to investigate.

At 11:30 a.m., six police cars were present at the scene, and entrances to the golf course had been taped off.

RCMP officers and members of the IHIT were standing next to an object that appeared to be a body covered in a white tarp and a white Porsche Panamera with its trunk open in the parking lot. At 12 p.m., the RCMP set up a tent next to the Porsche.

Pierotti wrote that investigators believe the shooting to be targeted, but do not believe there is any further risk to the public. The victim has been identified, but the name has not been released at this time.

UBC said in a tweet at 11:41 a.m. that the RCMP is investigating a targeted incident and that there is nothing to indicate risk to the public.

IHIT is asking witnesses or anyone with dash cam footage in the area of the golf course between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., or anyone with information about the shooting to contact them at 1-877-551-4448 or at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

This story was updated at 4:51 p.m. on October 17 to include comment from IHIT.

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information is available.