Transit update hub

Update Tuesday, October 25, 12:10 p.m.: After striking for one day, the union representing West Vancouver transit workers and the district have reached an agreement after returning to discussion yesterday afternoon, effectively ending the stall in bus service.

According to CBC News, “the dispute centred around benefit packages and high turnover of mechanics.”

A vote, scheduled to happen on Thursday, will confirm the deal.

All bus drivers and transit workers in West Vancouver will go on an indefinite strike from tomorrow onwards, according to their union.

Any UBC students who use one of the 12 bus lines affected, which includes bus #258 offering direct service from West Vancouver to UBC, will have to find alternate means of transportation.

The buses affected are: 250, 250A, 251, 252, 253 (which runs directly from West Vancouver to UBC), 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 and C12.

“We understand that a transit strike is extremely inconvenient for many people,” said District of West Vancouver communications coordinator Jeff McDonald in a news release. “By proceeding with this unnecessary strike, the transit union will be causing hardship for those who depend on Blue Bus, especially students and seniors.”

Check this article for consistent updates on Vancouver transit operations and stalls that may affect the transit situation of UBC students, staff and faculty as soon as they happen.