UBC fills last executive vacancy with appointment of VP external

UBC has filled the last vacancy on its executive team.

Newly appointed VP External Robin Ciceri is currently president of the Research Universities’ Council of British Columbia, where she coordinates efforts between the province’s largest schools.

She also serves on the various boards relevant to UBC, including the Digital Technology Supercluster, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research and BC Council for International Education.

“With a depth of knowledge and experience to draw upon, Robin will serve the university well in helping us accomplish the vision, commitments, goals and actions set out in our strategic plan, Shaping UBC’s Next Century,” said President Santa Ono in UBC’s press release.

Ciceri’s appointment fills the last of five senior administrative roles that were vacant as of this summer, closely following the announcement of Dr. Ainsley Carrey as incoming VP Students in December.

“UBC holds a distinctive place, recognized for outstanding students, remarkable faculty with global impact and dedicated staff who collectively shape the university,” said Ciceri in the release.

She is replacing Dr. Philip Steenkamp, who has joined Royal Roads University as its president on January 1, 2019. The news of his appointment broke in June 2018.

As VP External, Ciceri will direct UBC’s relationships with a huge array of outside partners and stakeholders ranging from the University Neighbourhood Association (UNA) to the City of Vancouver.

A major component of her job will be negotiating UBC’s contribution to the Broadway subway extension to campus, which was endorsed by Vancouver City Council yesterday.

Ciceri’s term will start on March 1.

“I look forward to working with President Ono and my colleagues on the leadership team, the talented members of the External Relations portfolio, with academic leaders, faculty and students, and the broader community to advance UBC’s core mission,” she said.