UNA candidate profile: Erin Co

Erin Co, a third-year student at UBC, is running for the University Neighbourhoods Association’s (UNA) Board of Directors.

If elected, she hopes to be able to provide what she believes are necessary changes.

“I'm running because I've seen the problems that the residents of the UNA are facing, whether that be affordable housing, the lack of transit solutions or even the lack of inclusive and equitable solutions for all kinds of people living here,” she said.

One of the three things Co is hoping to advocate for is building a SkyTrain to UBC. Having worked closely with UBC on this project as part of the AMS over the last two years, she is aware of the concerns residents have regarding this project — which is why she feels she will be able to better represent residents’ e voice to the UNA.

She also wants to make a working group and to liaise between the RCMP and UBC to ensure the overall safety of all community members, and to create more cultural spaces for both Indigenous and religious groups.

“I’ve met so many people from all walks of life facing different problems and I really want to play my role in creating a better community for everyone.”

Co also wants to make the UNA a space where the interests of students are really represented — she noted that the pandemic has made student engagement within the UNA low.

Co, having spent the last three years as an involved member of UBC and UNA community, is a student leader and has worked in many clubs as well as in the AMS. One thing she wants to highlight is how proud she is of the many other student leaders that are running in this year’s election.

“What really sets me apart is that I’m determined to make a change in my community.”

This is part of The Ubyssey’s coverage of the UNA election. We’ll be covering the candidates, the all-candidates forum and all things UNA until polls close on November 30.