Vancouver Coastal Health closes UBC rapid testing site on January 10 due to staffing issues

Update: The testing site has reopened, as of January 11.

Vancouver Coastal Health’s rapid testing site on UBC campus is closed for the day.

The site, which distributes rapid tests, closed due to of a staffing issue, Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) wrote on its Instagram account earlier today.

No date has been set for the reopening of the site. VCH wrote in a statement that it will reopen when it is "operationally feasible" and that "staff who work at this site are temporarily redeployed to other testing sites in Vancouver."

VCH encouraged those seeking a test to go to another testing site within the region.

The health authority is encouraging only people who are at a high risk to get tested for COVID-19.

“People do not need to get a test if they are fully vaccinated, have mild symptoms, and are able to self-isolate until symptoms improve,” VCH wrote in the post.

“VCH appreciates the support and understanding of the public as our staff remain committed to delivering testing services, despite the sustained increase in demand for care across our testing sites.”

The site opened on December 23, 2021, and is intended to remain open until January 23, 2022. It is located in the Life Sciences Building and is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

PCR testing is not available at this site. Last month, UBC announced that a separate PCR testing site would open sometime in January.

In a post on UBC’s Safety and Risk Services website over winter break, UBC wrote that due to “testing demand at this facility, there is potential for an extension or premature closure of the centre to operate at this location or an alternate location at UBC.”