AMS Decoded: What to look for in the January 13 Council meeting

Every few weeks, your student government spends a Wednesday night to talk about a bunch of things. In most cases, what we talk about wonʼt affect a students’ day to day activity, but there are always a few tidbits that might interest you. Hereʼs what to watch out for in the upcoming AMS Council meeting on January 13, 2016.

Faculty cup

Once a year, the AMS organizes the Faculty Cup, a day-long “sporting event” that features fun and bizarre sports such as bubble soccer. Faculties can compete for the ultimate “cup” and show their spirit. This year’s faculty cup is scheduled to be on January 29 and Alex Remtulla, the co-chair of the cup, will be making a presentation to Council.

Business governance

During a meeting last fall, the AMS passed a change in code on the body that governs AMS businesses. Notably, the name changed from the Business Administration and Governance Board (BAGB) to the Advisory Board for Business Administration (ABBA). In addition, AMS council seats were introduced for the first time in this body. The appointment will be made at this meeting and the two individuals who get elected will have a say in how to run AMS businesses until January 2017.

Service spending

During this Council meeting, two motions are coming to allow for purchases by AMS Services. The first motion will allow AMS Tutoring to buy new iPads. The AMS Tutoring iPads have been deteriorating over the years to the point that it now has to be constantly plugged in to an outlet for it to work (which kind of defeats the purpose of an iPad). The cost for the iPads will be $2,500. The second motion concerns spending for Safewalk so they can purchase a dispatch software. Safewalk has grown considerably in recent years with ever-increasing service demand. Spending this $3,900 will allow them to coordinate their efforts better, making their service more efficient.

Viet Vu is a fifth-year economics major and AMS Councillor. His views are his own and do not necessarily represent those of the Alma Mater Society or the Vancouver School of Economics Undergraduate Society.