AMS Decoded: What to look for in the March 9 AMS Council meeting

Every few weeks, your student government spends a Wednesday night to talk about a bunch of things. In most cases, what we talk about wonʼt affect a students’ day-to-day activity, but there are always a few tidbits that might interest you. Hereʼs what to watch out for in the upcoming AMS Council meeting on Wednesday, March 9, 2016.

Election results

If you haven't heard, the AMS just had elections. The student body successfully passed the U-Pass referendum with 97 per cent approval, agreed to bring back the Gallery with 81 per cent approval, decided to double the World University Service Canada (WUSC) fee and introduced a new Arts and Culture Fee, among other questions. The two referendum questions that didn’t pass were the $4.20 increase in AMS membership fees and the referendum question on referendums. AMS Council will be voting to accept these election results on Wednesday after a presentation by the elections administrator.

Transit policy

It’s no secret that the VP External office has been working diligently over the past many years on a Broadway subway line and other transit issues that affect students. With the previous transit policy expiring and the federal budget coming out soon, Council will be discussing the new and reviewed transit policy. This policy will direct the AMS External office to advocate for a rapid rail system for the Broadway corridor.

Divestment policy

Another policy that will come to AMS Council this Wednesday is the divestment policy. Recently, the Board of Governors failed to divest its fossils fuel shares in the university’s investment plans. Once approved, this policy will mean that AMS takes the stance that UBC should take all possible measures to divest from existing fossils fuel investments within five years.

Viet Vu is a fifth-year economics major, AMS Councillor and current chair of the Oversight Committee. His views are his own and do not necessarily represent those of the Alma Mater Society or the Vancouver School of Economics Undergraduate Society.