Letter from The Ubyssey’s Board of Directors president: Update on progress and elections

Welcome back UBC! I hope you all had a great break.

During the 2022 portion of my term as president of The Ubyssey’s Board of Directors, the Board has undertaken and completed several projects. Here are five things we accomplished in 2022:

• We passed a new five-year strategic business plan which outlines marketing and strategy plans for the future of the publication.
  • We began the process of expanding our secondary school scholarship program to include all schools within the Vancouver School District, reaching more students than ever before.
  • The Ubyssey’s business office is approaching pre-COVID-19 advertising revenue levels, which will allow us to better align with our long-term financial goals and objectives.
  • The Ubyssey’s editorial board has been reviewing our policies and bylaws to ensure best practices within the publication are enforced and followed.
  • Along with the editorial team, the Board is working tirelessly to increase transparency through our progress reports and financial updates.

The Ubyssey’s Board of Directors oversees the publication’s finances, business strategy, organization goals and all other day-to-day business operations of the paper. Members of the Board attend monthly meetings to discuss and vote on a number of issues and track our strategic plan progress, as well as assist on long-term projects undertaken by the president.

Being a member of the Board is a great opportunity to make an impact on the UBC community, as well as to gain valuable skills in business operations and decision making. As the current directors complete our term, we are looking for students that are interested in building their skills in business operations and improving the student experience at UBC to join us for the 2023/24 term, with the option of extending their position to two years. The Board of Directors is a crucial piece of the Ubyssey Publications Society, and I encourage anyone interested to run.

Elections will be conducted during the annual AMS Elections. Nominations will be open until February 17, with voting open from March 6–10. Nominations can be found online at the AMS website or at the AMS offices on the third floor of the Nest. If you have any questions, email me at president@ubyssey.ca or visit me at room 2209 in the Nest.

Jalen Bachra is the president of The Ubyssey's Board of Directors.