Senate Recentred: The End of a Triennium: Annual Reports, New Programs, and a Triennial Review

The Senate meets monthly to discuss and vote on UBC academic matters. But, Senate can often be hard to understand for the average student and the agenda docket can be super long and dull to read.

Senate Recentred is written by members of the Student Senate Caucus to demystify Senate by giving students a snapshot of what Senate is doing this month.

Here’s what to expect at the May 17 Senate meeting.

2020-2023 Triennial review report

The Senate operates in cycles of three years, also known as trienniums. As the current triennium and year draw to a conclusion with the final Senate meeting this week, many committees are poised to present their annual reports. In addition to providing an update to all senators on full Senate proceedings, these reports help ensure committees are held accountable for fulfilling their mandates.

Created with guidance from senators, senate committees, and members of the UBC community, the Triennial Review is a document that outlines recommendations which may guide future changes to the Senate.

Some key recommendations in this cycle’s report include revising orientation and training for new senators as well as making adjustments to committee mandates and composition. The report also recommends an external review of the Senate, which would entail hiring a firm external to UBC to assess the Senate’s procedures and organization.

Approval of new academic programs and courses

A joint report of the Admissions and Curriculum Committees is proposing four new programs for approval by the Senate. These new programs are:

• Doctor of Philosophy in Design, Technology and Society
  • Graduate Certificate in Applied Geological Engineering
  • Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Mechanical Engineering in the BC Context
  • Undergraduate Certificate in Data and Models in Political Science

In addition to new courses in several faculties, the Curriculum Committee is proposing the introduction of a new major program to accompany the existing honours program in Cellular, Anatomical, and Physiological Sciences. The committee is also recommending the removal of the accelerated 16-month option for the Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs.

Changes in sight for Dean’s Honour in Applied Science and Forestry

The Academic Policy Committee is putting forward changes to the academic distinctions granted in the Faculty of Applied Science and the Faculty of Forestry, with the proposal renaming Dean’s Honour to Dean’s List and adding a Dean’s Scholar designation for students achieving averages above 90 per cent.

Student appeals on academic discipline report

When the President’s Academic Misconduct Committee finds that students committed academic misconduct, students have the option to appeal the decision, which is then considered by this Senate committee. Out of four appeals heard this year, three were dismissed and one allowed in part. Two are currently in progress.

If you have questions for the Student Senate Caucus, you can email co-chairs Kareem Hassib at kareem.hassib@ubc.ca and Kamil Kanji at vpacademic@ams.ubc.ca.