AMS Decoded: What to look for in the June 7 Council meeting

Every few weeks, your elected student government meets on a Wednesday night to talk about issues concerning the AMS. Agenda items can seem long, mysterious and confusing without the proper background, making it difficult to see how these issues affect students. Here’s what to watch out for in the upcoming AMS Council meeting on June 7:

Sustainability Goals

At its last meeting, AMS Council heard from the executives about their individual and team-wide goals for the upcoming year. At this meeting, the VP Administration will be leading a presentation focusing on the society’s goals surrounding sustainability for the upcoming year. One of the highlights is a new mug-sharing program on the main floor of the Nest, which utilizes a machine created by UBC engineering students. The AMS’s Lighter Footprint Strategy is slated to be reviewed, since it was created before the society moved into the Nest. A new pricing strategy at AMS food outlets is also under development to incentivize participation in sustainable initiatives.

Outstanding Committee Appointments

While the majority of vacancies on AMS committees were filled at the last meeting of AMS Council, there are a few openings that will be filled at this week’s meeting. There is still one vacancy for a student-at-large on the Student Life Committee — more details about this opportunity can be found at the AMS website. In addition to completing its slate of summer appointments, Council will also be considering a new terms of reference for the recently repopulated Brewery Committee.

New Speaker of Council

After approximately four years of service to the AMS, Abdul Alnaar has stepped down from his position as Speaker of Council. The Speaker is responsible for maintaining order during Council meetings and serves as its chair. Mohammed Shaaban is slated to assume the position, subject to Council’s approval, for the next year.