Apps that will make your social life suck less

We know you can’t peel yourself away from your smartphone. Or tablet. Or laptop. Your social life as a student is one of your number one priorities, so we’ve brought you a bunch of social apps that will give your online persona an ego boost and make it impossible for you to pay attention in class (let’s pretend you were paying attention to begin with).

Instagram

Cost: Free

Available: iTunes, Google Play

If you don’t already have it, you need it — like, now. Instagram is everyone’s favourite photo sharing app for a reason and now with their added feature of “stories,” you can share in real time what you’re doing and make everyone else jealous. Take pictures from the Rose Garden to impress your friends back home or upload a photo with Earl Sweatshirt at the welcome back BBQ.

PS Express

Cost: Free

Available: iTunes, Google Play

To keep your Instagram feed on point, obviously. Photoshop Express is a mobile version of the popular photo editor. Fix exposure, brightness, contrast and even eliminate red-eye from those frat party pictures everyone is waiting for you to post. Make even the rainiest Vancouver day look great on your Instagram.

Bumble

Cost: Free (at-cost condoms are avaliable on campus)

Available: iTunes, Google Play

Ladies, this one's for you. Creepy guys and catfishing profiles are all over Tinder and Plenty of Fish,. So from co-founder of Tinder, Whitney Wolfe, who created the app after leaving Tinder due to alleged sexual harassment by her co-founder and ex-boyfriend Justin Mateen, comes Bumble – an online dating app that puts the women in charge. Swipe left or right, but only the ladies start the conversation. This takes the pressure off of the men and makes sure no one is receiving any unsolicited dick pics. With its user base consisting of 55 per cent women, it’s a win-win.

Spotify

Cost: Free, $10/month for premium

Available: iTunes, Google Play

No one likes an awkward, silent car ride or listening to the same J Biebs song over and over again on the radio. Be the car DJ of everyone’s dreams. Spotify is your answer for mobile tunes which is free for the first 30 days and is then only ten bucks a month. Listen to Canada’s Top 50 Tracks or local favourites like The Zolas and Hey Ocean!

Parallel Space

Cost: Free

Available: Google Play

A huge time saver for those of you who juggle a complex social life. It allows a singular mobile device to be logged onto multiple accounts of other existing apps at the same time. This means you can be logged into your club/society’s Snapchat and your personal account simultaneously.

Periscope

Cost: Free

Available: iTunes, Google Play

Why live-tweet when you can live stream? Owned by Twitter, the app’s interface allows users to broadcast what is happening in front of them in real time. So if your friends aren’t front row during the AMS Block Party, they won’t have to miss a thing.

StubHub

Cost: Free

Available: iTunes, Google Play

In case you were in class during the Drake pre-sale or couldn’t snag those Beyoncé tickets you wanted, StubHub is here to help. Get tickets to your favourite concerts, shows and sporting events on your phone, as well as browse for ticket re-sales so you don’t have to potentially deal with scalpers.

JUST EAT – Order Food Delivery

Cost: The app is free. The food, unfortunately, isn't.

Available: iTunes, Google Play

We’ve all had those nights when we’re too lazy to change out of our pyjamas. JUST EAT is Canada’s biggest take-out and delivery site. This means you can get a UBC Roll from Everyday Sushi on 10th or a mouthwatering BBQ chicken pizza from Fresh Slice delivered right to your doorstep. The delivery person will see your Batman PJs but hey, it's totally worth it.

Did we miss any? Let us know which apps are improving your social life on and off campus.