Sci Lit Week 2022: Give the ‘M’ in STEM some love this week

Science is in air this week as institutions gather to celebrate science literacy.

Science Literacy Week, also known as Sci Lit Week, serves to support public interest and accessibility in science across Canada and will run from September 19-25. Mathematics is this year’s theme and will be the centre of the workshops and events. Students and community members interested in repping the coveted ‘M’ in STEM can explore a variety of activities on campus and across Vancouver.

UBC Library

UBC campus librarians have put together multiple math-themed activities for students to enjoy. From book lists to exhibition catalogs dedicated to showcasing the role of mathematics in film and art, the UBC library team has spearheaded a host of Sci Lit Week content that can be explored on their website.

Students can also check out the UBC library’s social media campaign this week for more Sci Lit Week themed fun.

Beaty Biodiversity Museum

Beaty Biodiversity Museum will continue to host exhibitions this week. Though not directly fitting within this year’s theme, the events at the museum are sure to inspire a love of science the ultimate goal of Sci Lit Week. Preventing Extinctions: Architecting the Accretocene celebrates work in island conservation, while Disrupting Wild Echoes showcases wildlife artwork by Canadian artist Sarah Ronald.

... and beyond!

Students interested in exploring Sci Lit Week across their community can go to the official website for more information.