Grading the Thunderbirds: The 2018/19 second term report card

Our usual school year varsity programs have now wrapped up. As they pass the torch on to UBC's summer teams, it's time to look back on the winter term and see just how the Thunderbirds teams did. From national titles, to early playoff exists, here's the grades for each team and why we think each team warranted it:

Swimming: A+

It should really come as no surprise that the Thunderbird swim teams are both receiving the highest grade after a season of absolute dominance. Both the men’s and women’s teams finished the year as Canada West and U Sports national champions.

['auto'] File Ryan Neale

Aside from the titles, the ’Birds also found ways to improve off their last two championship seasons. The biggest improvement coming in the women’s sprint freestyle events at the U Sports championships where Quincy Brozo and Hoi Lam Karen Tam held their own against star studded competition like olympians Kylie Masse and Katherine Savard.

Women’s volleyball: A+

What more could you ask for in a story line.

UBC women’s volleyball started slowly this season, losing four of their first six games, but they didn’t let that set them back. The team battled hard until the midseason break when they found their stride: rolling over the conference-leading Trinity Western Spartans who were 14-0 at that point. The ’Birds kept on building confidence as they headed into the Canada West playoffs and did just enough to get a berth at the national tournament in Edmonton as the eighth seed. The ’Birds defied all odds and claimed their 12th national title in program history.

MVP: Kiera Van Ryk. She was the team’s MVP as she took home a plethora of awards that included Canada West Player of the Year, U Sports Player of the Year and U Sports National MVP.

Men’s basketball: A

The UBC men’s basketball team outperformed expectations this season, taking a young core of players to the program’s first U Sports Final 8 tournament since they played host in 2015/16.

Although the team finished fifth at the tournament , this was a squad that many counted out following the departure of key seniors at the end of last year. This year marked breakout campaigns for a pair of impressive sophomores that found their way into the starting rotation — Grant Shephard and Mason Bourcier. It was also highlighted by strong homecoming years for transfer veterans Jadon Cohee and Manroop Clair.

['auto'] File Mitchell Ballachay

MVP: Grant Shephard. The sensational big-man’s consistent dominance was paramount for the success of the team this year — he closed out his regular season with 18 straight double-digit games, earning him a spot on Canada West’s Second All-Star Team. Shephard was also a monster in the paint: he was fourth in the Canada West in rebounding, and the conference’s most efficient scorer with an astounding 66.7 field goal percentage.

Men’s rugby: A

It’s been another year of success for the blue and gold. Yet to play their last game, men’s rugby currently sits second in the Premier League. A sixth consecutive World Cup win over Cal Berkeley is just a testament to the high standard of play the program has procured over the years. The only thing keeping this team from achieving an A+ are the three losses they’ve incurred so far. Don’t forget to check out centre Ben LeSage and scrum-half Will Percillier this summer, who will be representing Canada at this year’s Rugby World Cup.

Men’s volleyball: B+

The men’s volleyball team’s playoff season journey wasn’t as smooth as the fans expected. They entered the Canada West playoff as the eighth seed and were obliterated by the number two Trinity Western University Spartans in their first back-to-back series of the post-season.

Despite the imperfect outcome, the team’s comeback this season was still pretty impressive. Since the start of second term, the men’s volleyball team won nine of ten games in the regular season.

['auto'] File Ryan Neale

MVP: Michael Dowhaniuk. Though only a freshman, Dowhaniuk is already one of the most reliable powerhouses on the team. He experienced some ups and downs in terms of his consistency on the court in the beginning of the year, but was able to surmount the struggles and was nominated the Canada West all-rookie and a second team all-star.

Women’s hockey: B+

The women’s hockey team has been a team of headlines and highlight reels this season. This year, the ’Birds told a story of a team who showed unshakeable resolve and took on any challengers: whether they were the league’s best scorers or the Athletics department.

Looking at their stat sheet, you’ll find two markers of the ‘Birds unique style: SOGs and penalty minutes high enough to make you feel bad for the sideboards. While entertaining to watch, the lack of reliable offense raises concerns that the team won’t be taking their solid defense and stellar goalie to the national stage before their eligibility is up.

['auto'] File Salomon Micko Benrimoh

MVP: Tory Micklash. This season owes it’s best moments to the fast hands of their star goalie.

Men’s hockey: B

It’s difficult to grade a team that was as unpredictable as the T-Birds men’s hockey team was this year. There were games that the team should have won — including this year’s Winter Classic against Calgary — and there were also games they should have lost such as their ridiculous comeback win against Lethbridge.

['auto'] File Ryan Neale

Yet when you look at their season in its entirety, UBC still finished with a .500 record in conference play: good for fourth in Canada West.

Considering that two of their fellow conference opponents, Saskatchewan and Alberta, played in this year’s U Sports national championship, and another, Calgary, was also a top 10 team nationally, this was the best finish UBC could have expected.

Losing to Mount Royal in the playoffs was a surprising disappointment. Wth most players eligible to return to the roster next year, though, UBC may have a chance to contend for the Canada West crown going forward.\

Women’s basketball: B-

It was a solid season that ended in disappointment for women’s basketball. After posting a 14-6 conference record, they dropped their first Canada West playoff game to Winnipeg. Luckily, the roster is mostly composed of second/third years, so it’ll likely be another two years of familiar faces at War Memorial — good news for team chemistry.

MVP: Keylyn Filewich. She was named second team All-Canadian in her third year at UBC.