T-Birds 5-on-5: Rainy day blues

With the weather taking a turn for the worst as it inevitably does, we wanted to know how athletes deal with the miserable weather and miserable feelings.

The athletes (all from UBC’s rowing team):

Katie Clark (KC)
Julia Lindsay (JL)
Liam Marcil (LM)
Kristina Walker (KW) Kieffer Silva Pinto (KSP)

Umbrella or raincoat?

KC: Raincoat. With an umbrella, your hands are preoccupied!!!
JL: I used to think umbrellas were for the weak, but I have become more understanding in my old age. They are acceptable for long walks only.
LM: Raincoat. Umbrellas are designed for snow.
KW: Raincoat.
KSP: Raincoats cause they are versatile and don't break during high winds. And if you have one you won't be needing an umbrella and because it covers your full body. Plus carrying around an umbrella all day long is definitely something I have time for.

What’s your favourite rainy day activity?

KC: My favourite rainy day activity is staying in and binge-watching something on Netflix, or baking something.
JL: Baking.
LM: Getting wet.
KW: Rowing, because it’s always raining and I love to row.
KSP: If I had time I would drive around in the rain and splash people who are standing way to close to the road in the first place. Just kidding, all I do is study in my dorm so it would have to be that.

How late is too late to walk in to a one-hour class?

KC: If I’m going to be walking in any later than 15 minutes late, it’s game over.
JL: Anything past 20 minutes.
LM: Five minutes.
KW: Seven minutes.
KSP: It’s not a matter of how late you are but how well you can get into the class without the teachers spotting you. But generally, 30 mins is a good rule of thumb, unless you’re like me and can sneak in the last five minutes of class (but at that point why bother).

Favourite teen angst song?

KC: I never went through a teen angst phase, so I don’t know!
JL: Kreesha Turner, “Don’t Call Me Baby
LM: Soulja boy, “Crank That
KW: Simple Plan, “I’m Just a Kid
KSP: This definitely has to be Evanescence, “Bring Me to Life

Wait in line or order in advance for Starbucks?

KC: Mobile order all the way!!!
JL: Why wouldn’t you mobile order? Save time, collect stars and minimize human interaction. It’s a win-win.
LM: Wait in line? Who orders coffee.
KW: Wait in line.
KSP: I do not go to Starbucks, are you kidding me?! It’s way too expensive #studentbudget. If you live in Canada, it’s Tim Horton’s or nothing, and I am definitely not forward-thinking enough to order beforehand.