Capturing the Captains Cup: UBC and SFU face off in first game of inaugural tournament

On September 15, UBC men’s hockey faced the SFU Clan in the first game of the inaugural Captains Cup. The 'Birds defeated their Lower Mainland rivals 8-3 with 13 different T-Birds getting on the scoresheet, as explained by UBC Athletics.

Goal scorers for the evening included Austin Vetterl, Manraj Hayer, Carter Popoff, Riley Guenther, Chase Clayton and captain Wes Vannieuwenhuizen.

Despite giving up the lead twice, UBC came out with a strong third period to beat their cross-town rivals, scoring five goals in the final 20 minutes of the game.

Chase Clayton controls the puck on the left wing. He scored one of UBC’s eight goals on the night.
Chase Clayton controls the puck on the left wing. He scored one of UBC’s eight goals on the night. Matt Langmuir
Riley Guenther scores from the slot to open the scoring in the game.
Riley Guenther scores from the slot to open the scoring in the game. Matt Langmuir
Manraj Hayer undresses Lyndon Stanwood to get the ’Birds back on track in the third period.
Manraj Hayer undresses Lyndon Stanwood to get the ’Birds back on track in the third period. Matt Langmuir
Hayer, now in his fourth year of eligibility with the T-Birds, scored twice in the game.
Hayer, now in his fourth year of eligibility with the T-Birds, scored twice in the game. Matt Langmuir
Austin Glover is tripped deep in the SFU zone. The UBC rookie came back to join the team for the game after a stint with the Edmonton Oilers rookie camp.
Austin Glover is tripped deep in the SFU zone. The UBC rookie came back to join the team for the game after a stint with the Edmonton Oilers rookie camp. Matt Langmuir