Golf teams grab gold in first Cascade Collegiate Conference tournaments

It was the dream start for UBC golf in its first-ever Cascade Collegiate Conference tournament on Tuesday: a win for both the men’s and women’s teams.

The T-Birds only recently joined the American NAIA conference. They now sit amongst a Cascadia contingent which includes College of Idaho, Corban, Multnomah, Northwest Christian, Oregon Tech and Walla Walla.

After a strong performance on the first day of the tournament, UBC claimed first place with a score of +35 as a team. Just behind them were the Oregon Owls at +42 and Northwest Christian at +51. UBC men's team veteran Andrew Harrison took the individual title, beating University of Victoria’s Josh Miller by four shots. Logan Carver was the only other T-Bird to finish in the top five individually.

On the women’s side, Oregon Tech was one stroke ahead after the first round of play on Monday. In a nail-biter on Tuesday, UBC made up the one-stroke deficit to claim a tie for first place with an overall score of +53.

UBC second-year golfer Kelly Hellman came first individually with a final score of +7. Three points behind her was Oregon Tech’s Stephanie Koza. UBC's Shania Remandaban and first-year Esther Lee also clinched spots in the top five of the tournament, with scores of +13 and +14 for fourth and fifth place, respectively.

Both teams now head to the College of Idaho Invitational from September 17 to 18.