Thunderbird Matt Hewitt called up as emergency backup for Vancouver Canucks

UBC men’s hockey goalkeeper Matt Hewitt will be backing up Jacob Markstrom tonight as the Vancouver Canucks take on the St. Louis Blues.

The fourth-year goalkeeper will be playing for the Canucks on a one-day contract as an emergency backup, since Ryan Miller is currently out of the lineup due to injury, and there's no time to fly in another goalie from their farm team, the Utica Comets.

“This is an option of a lifetime and a dream come true for myself personally. Words can’t describe how excited I am,” said Hewitt.

Hewitt received the notice from his head coach Sven Butenschon this morning. While exactly what his experience with the Canucks will entail remains to be seen, Hewitt is grateful for the amount of support he is receiving.

“I can’t even tell you how many messages, how much support and love that I got from my family and friends,” said Hewitt. “That’s just huge, just knowing how many people are behind me.”

►  Play video
Video

TSN Original: Emergency goalie

The last time a Thunderbird was called up for the Canucks was in 2003, when Chris Levesque nearly had to step in.

Hewitt also said that the uncertainty ahead is what makes him excited.

“I don’t know what to really expect. I’m just going to go in there and enjoy every moment of it and take it all in,” said Hewitt.

The Canucks’ game against the Blues tonight will be a matchup of the top teams of the Pacific and Central Divisions of the Western Conference. At the moment, neither team has lost a single game.

While getting to play for the Canucks is a special opportunity, Hewitt said that after tonight’s game, he would have to get back to the mindset of being a T-Bird and prepare for the upcoming doubleheader against the University of Alberta Golden Bears this weekend.

“At the end of the day, I’m still a Thunderbird … this is a dream come true for me tonight, but when I come tomorrow, I’m a student again and I got to be ready to be here for my team,” said Hewitt.

The puck will drop at Rogers Arena at 7 p.m. tonight.