Tight loss for men's field hockey in first game of 2017

Coming off of a 4-5-2 record before the winter break, the UBC men’s field hockey team took a 4-3 loss against West Vancouver FHC in their first game of 2017.

The first half was a close contest between the two teams, with West Vancouver being the first to get onto the scoreboard. The ’Birds then managed to equalize the game before the opposition came back to reclaim the lead.

As the first half reached the midway mark, UBC forward John Sharp recorded the second goal for UBC, putting the ball behind the back line after an earlier shot by defender Quentin Clark got deflected off the goalkeeper’s pad.

With the score now tied at 2-2, the ’Birds took the lead for the first time on a penalty stroke by fourth-year defender Gordon Johnston.

Despite trailing, West Vancouver managed to produce two more goals and come back on top 4-3. UBC then desperately fought to tie things up once again and had opportunities, which included a few short penalty corners and a shot that struck the crossbar. Still, the ’Birds were unable to respond and the game ended in a one-goal loss.

Even with the loss, UBC head coach Kinder Gill was overall impressed by his team’s performance given the team’s current battle with injuries and illness.

“I thought our boys played really well. Good effort overall. We were unlucky on a couple of chances, but the most difficult part we had was fielding healthy players,” said Gill.

With only 12 able players available, UBC had room for only one substitute available throughout the entire game.

“We just had one sub, and that makes it difficult when there [are] unlimited substitutions and you want to have at least four guys on the bench,” said Gill.

“It was a good result [and] good energy shown by the team.”

UBC now holds a 4-6-2 record and currently places seventh in the Premier Division. The team will play its next game on the road against the United Brothers FHC in Surrey.