Men's hockey scores eight unanswered to fly past Spartans at Winter Classic

With the support of over 4,000 fans, the UBC men’s hockey team extended their win streak to 10 games with an assertive 8–1 victory over the Trinity Western Spartans on Friday night at the Winter Classic.

Following a big 8–5 win on Thursday, UBC knew they could put on a show for the crowd, and that they did.

Though they found themselves down 1–0 early after an untimely turnover, the excitement from the crowd helped the T-Birds score eight unanswered goals, breezing past the Spartans and improving to third place in the Canada West.

UBC’s second line of Liam Kindree, Sam Huo and Sasha Mutala combined for nine points, while Cyle Mcnabb added two goals. And, after a relatively quiet start to the game, the ‘Birds ended up going three for five on the powerplay, which now stands alone as the best in the division.

Each time fans were brought to their feet, a sea of orange swept through the arena thanks to complimentary T-Birds towels that were handed out at the door.

Crazy P hypes up the crowd.
Crazy P hypes up the crowd. Isabella Falsetti / The Ubyssey

After the game, UBC head coach Sven Butenschön commended the crowd for their infectious support and its effect on his team.

“The guys love it,” said Butenschön. “It wasn’t as big as the crowds we used to get… but it [was] electric in there.”

In net for the T-Birds, stopping 32 of 33 Trinity Western shots, was rookie goaltender Kaeden Lane. After the win, Lane reflected on his junior career, and what the crowd meant to him.

“Tonight was amazing,” said Lane. “I got to witness some pretty good crowds, and play in front of a pretty good building in my time in Penticton [with the Vees], and tonight matched that. I think they gave us a big boost.”

After a difficult start to his first season with the team, Lane has settled into his role among three capable UBC goaltenders. He is undefeated in his last six starts, boasting a .945 save percentage.

Jordan Sandhu (#19) carries the puck down the ice.
Jordan Sandhu (#19) carries the puck down the ice. Isabella Falsetti / The Ubyssey

“The Christmas break was big for me to find some serenity in my personal life,” said Lane, “and I think [we] all came back with a fresh mindset, and the [goal] to just get one percent better every day.”

Butenschön echoed that same mentality as the T-Birds look towards the playoffs, and was quick to recognize his goaltender’s development.

“[He’s] not just making the saves, he’s communicating [with] his defenseman. He looks comfortable in there.”

Next week the ‘Birds face off against the University of Regina, and will look to remain undefeated in 2023 while gearing up for the postseason. If the playoffs were to start today, the team would play Regina in the quarter finals, however, a lot can change in one weekend.

“Going into the playoffs, we have to get better [defensively],” envisioned Butenschön, “because the way things are going, we [know] we’re going to score goals.”