Men’s rugby bruised by Capilano but remain undefeated

This past Saturday, the UBC Thunderbirds defended their perfect record as they faced off against Capilano RFC, tallying yet another win. 

UBC scored early as Brock Staller was able to capitalize on two penalty kicks, giving the ’Birds an early 6-0 lead. Soon after, Capilano was at the UBC try line, but failed to penetrate the UBC defence and the ball was turned over and carried midfield where another scrum was called. It didn’t take long for scrum-half Jorden Sandover-Best to take advantage of the turnover, giving UBC an 11-0 lead.

Nearing the end of the first half, Capilano found themselves on defence again as UBC prop Neil Courtney was gaining ground within their 22 and, with a quick pass out to Connor Hamilton, the T-birds increased the scoring gap to 16-0.

Penalties were a common occurrence for both teams throughout the game. Six minutes into the second half, UBC was sentenced a penalty that resulted in them without a player for 10 minutes, but this didn’t slow down Staller as he had a great run coming full force at the Capilano defence. He was taken down by a kick to the leg that went uncalled and Staller being carried off the field. 

Tensions were high. 

Approaching the midway mark of the second half, Capilano records what would be their only try of the game closing the gap to 16-5.

UBC answered back quickly as James Thompson secured their win with the game’s final try, putting the scoreboard at 21- 5 in favor of UBC.

After the final whistle, UBC head coach Rameses Langston was focused on getting the team back to full health as they prepare to travel to the University of California, Berkeley to take on the Golden Bears in next week’s game.