Men's rugby remains undefeated, beating VRC 48-24

UBC men’s rugby defeated the Vancouver Rowing Club this past Saturday at the Brockton Oval in Stanley Park. Surprised? Didn’t think so. The men’s rugby team remains undefeated this season as they tally yet another win thanks to the team’s consistency of time on attack this past weekend. 

In an unlikely turn of events, the T-Bird’s were left trailing after the first 20 minutes of play as VRC was first to put up points, giving them an early 0-14 lead. 

It didn’t take long for UBC to turn things around as Sam Clark scored the team’s first try of the game and Andrew Coe closed the scoring gap with the extra two points. VRC was still leading 7-14. 

From then on, UBC dominated the scoreboard. 

A breakdown that developed off a lineout at right field resulted in UBC’s James Thompson being credited with the team’s second try. VRC was still leading 12-14. 

With five minutes remaining in the first half, UBC capitalized on a penalty called against VRC. VRC failed to bring down UBC’s Cole Keffer as he dodged through numerous defencemen, giving UBC their first lead of the game. Coe was good for the extra points and UBC was in the lead 19-14. 

As the clock wound down on the first half, UBC was penalized within their 22. VRC was given the opportunity for a penalty to close the scoring gap before half time, but it was kicked wide. 

During the second half, VRC had a chance to redeem themselves as UBC was penalized on a lineout. This time the kick was good, but UBC held their lead at 19-17. 

UBC was quick to respond and answered back with a drop goal converted by Coe giving UBC a 22-17 lead. 

Soon after, Nathan Reese left the game with a dislocated elbow, but UBC didn’t let up.

VRC was on the defence again as UBC carried the ball out left field from a lineout, but was stopped at the try line. VRC was penalized on the scrum and UBC was rewarded a penalty try. Thompson was good for the extra two points, giving UBC a 29-17 lead.

UBC wasn’t done yet.

Passing the midway point of the second half, UBC’s Thiel Sauder had a great run covering half the field. Dodging several VRC players, he scored UBC’s fifth try and increased their lead to 34-17. 

UBC continued to dominant time on attack. VRC held the ball up in their try zone, but UBC passed the ball out to the wing on the left side of the field and Karsten Leitner was credited for the try. Coe scored the extra two points, extending the score 41-17. 

As the game was nearing its end, VRC capitalized on a knock-on made by UBC. The ball was kicked down the field by VRC and bounced off the chest of a UBC player back into the hands of a VRC player. He was met at the UBC try line by Keffer. VRC scored on the next play and they were good for the extra two points. The score was then 41-24 UBC.

The final play of the game resulted in another UBC try. A UBC lineout was called within the VRC 22. Keffer passed the ball out from the line out and a scrum was called down. A dominant scrum by UBC allowed them to drive the ball into the try zone off the scum. Coe recorded the final two points of the game with his convert making the final score 48-24 for UBC.

Next weekend, UBC will play in the CIS seven’s tournament.