Men's volleyball beat Mount Royal in preseason opener

While approximately 2,000 people watched the UBC Thunderbirds' football team face off against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies, the men's volleyball team took on Mount Royal University at War Memorial Gym. 

Due to a provincial high school tournament going on at UBC, the Thunderbirds were forced to play a half court game in front of a crowd the size of a medium lecture hall — not your typical UBC Volleyball game. 

This game was a story of two different Mount Royal University teams. In the first set, the T-Birds jumped out to an early lead and were able to hold on for an easy set win at 25-13. The second, third and fourth sets saw a completely different Mount Royal team. In the first set, the 'Birds were able to have their way with the Cougars front line. However in the next three sets, the Cougars pushed back against the T-Birds. The second set was won by Mount Royal at a score of 26-24. The T-Birds, with scores of 26-24 and 27-25, won the third and fourth sets respectively. 

Offensively, UBC was led by Mac McNicol who had a team high of 12 kills. He was the only player to reach double digits in kills. Newcomer Henrik Hole finished the match with 22 assists — a team high. In the first set at set point, Hole was brought in as a sub to serve out. Hole promptly stepped up and delivered an ace to win the set for the Thunderbirds. Jarrid Ireland contributed with nine kills and two aces. 

Defensively, the T-Birds were led by Ivan Brar. Known for his overpowering spikes, he took on a different role this game and led the team with 10 digs. 

A shot by Lucas King of Mount Royal landed in the open 'Birds' court after he whiffed on the spike and then proceeded to head the ball over the net. The jury is still undecided on whether that was intentional or not. Regardless, it was still the best shot of the game.

The Thunderbirds are flying East this week as they head off to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to play exhibition games against the University of New Brunswick and Dalhousie University. The 'Birds open their Canada West season on October 23 as they host the University of Manitoba.