Places to Be: Quarry Rock

About a week ago, a friend of mine invited me on this hike to this place in North Vancouver I had never heard of before, to my disgrace: Deep Cove. Being always open to new experiences, my curiosity was quite picked and, so, I embarked on this journey into a land yet unknown to me.

We got down from our car at this scenic seaside that really entranced us in its immense tranquility. People around us were lying on the grassy coast to appreciate this nice weather and admire the vast sea in front of us.

Right afterwards, we went up this fleet of stairs that led us to some deep woods which revealed to be quite tiring to the legs. At that point, I regretted the intense leg workout I did the day before. If you are as much a nature lover as I am, you will be amazed by the giant trees all around us, shielding the outside world away. The sound of the flowing water was soothing to the ear all while we were trying our best to hike up the steep grounds, filled with rocks and roots. The array of colours around us had a hypnotic effect of some sort. The air around us had a quite fresh feeling that added to the pristine environment we were in.

Though we were actually struggling, we did not complain as the environment was appeasing to our senses. There was a particularly embarrassing moment when we were struggling to keep up our trek when a dog casually strolled past us and moved past us so easily and moved away with the same ease, a humble moment when we became aware of how bad we were at this. Nonetheless, we kept walking up, panting on the way.

This journey is definitely not for those who hate exercising. In fact, some of you may even wonder what the point of doing this trip. If you do feel unsure about making such a trip, let me reassure you. What we saw next made up any negative feeling we had completely worth it.

We reached the ethereal quarry cove summit. The view from there was amazing. The contrast between the greenery, the deep blue sea and the light blue sky all made me feel a sense greater than myself, a reminder of the immense complexity of nature and how insignificant we are, in all its vastness.

We were clearly not the only ones appreciating the scenery as the summit was somewhat crowded with people of all ages chatting about the view and how they did not want to leave. Though the crowd was cumbersome at some times, as we had to carefully make our way on the edges while being careful not to bump on anybody, it also contributed to the experience as we all shared one thing in common: a deep appreciation of what lied in front of us.

Going back down was enjoyable, considering that we were going downhill and thus gravity was now our ally. If you are a nature enthusiast and enjoy athletic endeavours, then the quarry cove is a must on your bucket list of places to visit.