Effective 9 p.m. on March 16, all UBC sports facilities will be closed until at least April 5 due to fears over the spread of COVID-19. Programs and camps within the facilities have all been cancelled as well.
The facilities being affected by the shutdown include:
- Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre
- John M.S. Lecky UBC Boathouse
- Student Recreation Centre
- ARC & BirdCoop Fitness Centres & Studios
- UBC Aquatic Centre
- UBC Tennis Centre
- UBC Baseball Rose Indoor Training Centre & Baseball Stadium
- Thunderbird Park
- War Memorial Gymnasium
- Gerald McGavin Rugby Pavilion
In a statement regarding the massive shutdown, UBC Athletics and Recreation announced they “will continue to monitor the situation and follow the guidance of health authorities to ensure appropriate procedures are in place to protect all involved in our community.”
The department also said that they will be looking into the possibility of refunds for venue rentals.
This is an evolving story and will be updated as more information becomes available.
Stay up to date on information related to COVID-19 by visiting ubyssey.ca/covid-19/