T-Birds 5-on-5: March Madness

Struggling to cope with the horrors of midterms? Need the scoop on the best study spaces on campus? Looking for St. Patrick’s Day plans? Pull a hamstring? UBC athletes have all the answers you seek plus more in the newest edition of the T-Birds 5-on-5.

Alex Mascott (AM): men’s rugby

Barbara Neto-Bradley (BNB): women’s golf

Heather Murray (HM): women’s rowing

Jacob Quail (JQ): men’s soccer

Ray Bell (RB): men’s rowing

1) What food on campus is the best for helping you cope with the horrors of midterms?

AM: The Pit, Perch (RIP), Mahoney's, and Koerner's are all great for making it through exams. I haven't looked at their menus, but I'm sure the food's great. 

BNB: Uppercase's oat fudge bars. I challenge them to make a killer dairy-free version. 

HM: The best food to cope with midterms (or anything) is nachos. Always. Koerners' nachos are yummy and come with a lot of dip to last the whole experience. I live near the Local so that’s my favourite place for off campus nacho emergencies.

JQ: Got to go with a dangerous 5 Taste [of China] three choice noodle box. All that grease makes your sadness slip away. I hear they have good bear claws too, but I haven't tried them yet.

RB: I once binged Qoola while cramming for exams. I don't do well with dairy and ended up hating myself for the next 24 hours. Big mistake.

2) If you had to rank UBC’s libraries, which would come out on top?

AM: 100 per cent Woodward = Número Uno. Known for leggings, kin girls and varsity athletes.

BNB: Koerner, I like to be able to hear myself think. Looking at you, IKB. 

HM: For the best library on campus, it depends on my needs that day. Woodward is good for a team study session or to catch up on varsity gossip, but law library has the best view around and is a quiet space for quality studying.

JQ: See, that's tough because each library has a different specialty. The one I spend the most time in is Wood because even if you are there late and it closes, you can just go into the main area and study even later.

RB: I tried studying on campus once, but was distracted for half an hour while watching a guy clean and assemble his vape kit. Dude, we get it, you vape. I didn't know that's what libraries were for and haven't been back since.

3) Is there a difference in routine between a pre-exercise stretch and a post-exercise stretch?

AM: Is there a difference between foreplay and cuddling? (Is that response too aggressive?)

BNB: Post-round stretches always seem to be forgotten until something hurts. 

HM: Pre-exercise stretching is all about activating the muscles to get ready for your workout, whereas post-exercise stretching is done to prevent muscle soreness and eliminate some recovery time. Note: always warm up before stretching. Or bad things can happen. I heard it from a friend of a friend.

JQ: The main difference is how good it feels. The pre-game stretch is light and relaxed. You can focus on your breathing, whereas in the post-game you are trying to concentrate on not snapping your hamstrings. The pain never felt so good.

RB: I'm a rower, not trying to be the best at stretching.

4) What is your favourite way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

AM: St. Patrick's Day is a great time to catch some cheeky pints or a glass of wine here and there. Sponsored: I've also heard that the Vod Lounge Vineyards are releasing a new Chardonnay for St. Paddy's. Make sure to check it out and like the VodLounge on FB.

BNB: Kiss me, I'm Irish.

HM: Hmm good question... I don’t have any memories of a stand out St. Patty’s day. So maybe green beer was involved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But that’s between you and I. 

JQ: Green everything. Green clothes, green beer – I even made green KD last year.

RB: Unfortunately, St. Patty's Day falls on our most competitive time of the season, so I normally spend it very sober.

5) March is the month of Mars, the Roman god of war. Which Roman god do you most closely identify with?

AM: Easy answer — Venus the goddess of love.

BNB: Minerva for her willingness to share wisdom, experience and knowledge. 

HM: To be honest, I haven’t identified with a Roman god before! Although I did live in Rome my last year of high school and remember learning that a God of Wine existed. God of wine seems like a legitimate job with great perks, so I’d go with that one.

JQ: Bacchus. If you know anything about him or me you'd see the connection.

RB: I mean, I'm not one to boast about my capabilities, but if you asked my girlfriend, she would be quick to answer with “Cupid.”