Thunderbirds sweep Winnipeg Wesmen in home opener

The Thunderbird women’s volleyball team improved to a 4-0 record in conference play and a 10-2 total record this weekend after beating the University of Winnipeg Wesmen twice — each time in straight sets of 3-0.

The first game on Friday saw UBC jump out to take the first set, more than doubling the Wesmen's score at 25-10.  The Wesmen came back in the next two sets to make it close — especially in the second set that went into several match-points — but ultimately the ’Birds came out on top, winning both sets by scores of 26-24 and 25-21 respectively.

Saturday night’s game played out in almost the exact same way as the previous night. With a small but surprisingly noisy crowd at the War Memorial gym, the T-Birds again stormed out to a double-digit lead before winning the set by a final score of 25-14. As the team looked to be cruising their way to another easy victory, the ’Birds were all smiles, embracing each other kill after kill.

The smiles went away after the second set started.  The Wesmen had caught a second wind and jumped out to a surprising lead over the ’Birds.  But before their lead could reach double digits, UBC rebounded to come back and eventually win the set by a final score of 25-18.

The Wesmen’s energy was nowhere to be found in the third and final set, and the ’Birds shut out their Manitoban opponents for the second night in a row by winning it 25-11. 

With ample time to rest and dominating performances already in the books, it looks like the Thunderbirds will be a tough opponent to beat this season.

The Wesmen are now 4-0 in conference play and the T-Birds will look to maintain their perfect conference record in their next set of matches in two weeks when they travel to Kamloops to take on the Thompson Rivers Wolfpack.