Tolnai powers ‘Birds through two more home victories

UBC women’s soccer topped the Alberta Pandas 2–0 and the MacEwan Griffins 2–1 this weekend at the Thunderbird Stadium. Third-year midfielder Katalin Tolnai scored all four of UBC’s goals.

Tolnai continued her exceptional performance from last weekend’s home opener hosting the University of Victoria Vikes. The young midfielder not only got her first goal as a T-Bird but ended the night with a hat-trick to down the Vikes 4–0.

Friday night against the Pandas, the T-Birds saw shots from Tolnai, Sophia Ferreira and Danielle Steer in the first half. Heading into stoppage time, UBC was awarded a free kick from just outside of the box. Tolnai lined up to take the kick and sent the ball flying to the top left corner of the net. Tolnai’s goal gave UBC an important 1–0 lead at halftime.

Despite a strong push from the Pandas in the second half, the T-Birds were hungry for another goal. Tolnai found Ava Alexander’s pass in the 88th minute and buried the ball into the left corner to push UBC past the Pandas 2–0.

U Sports and Canada West Women’s Soccer Player of the Week Tolnai continued the momentum on Saturday’s 2–1 victory over reigning U Sports champs the MacEwan Griffins.

Tolnai scored her first goal of the night in the 10th minute off of a Nisa Reehal assist. Griffins Alyx Henderson soon responded with a goal of her own from a through pass by Maya Morrell.

The opening half excitement continued when Reehal and Tolnai came together again in the 42nd minute to give the Thunderbirds the game-winning goal. Tolnai’s magnificent goal off the crossbar was her seventh goal of the season, placing her above Danielle Steer as the top goal scorer of the young Canada West season.

UBC was awarded a penalty kick in the 49th minute. Steer’s kick from the spot was saved by Griffins keeper Breanna Truscott to keep the match at a one goal difference. Despite several chances from both sides, the score remained 2–1 in favour of UBC at the time of the final whistle.

The Thunderbirds continue their campaign in Winnipeg on September 17 when they face the University of Manitoba Bisons.