Top ten Thunderbirds moments of October 2022

October was filled with Thunderbirds sports action. Hockey and volleyball began competition, and women's rugby, women's golf, men's cross country and women's cross country all earned Canada West championship titles.

Here are the best moments of October.

10. UBC women’s hockey goes to overtime twice in doubleheader

Both of UBC women’s hockey’s games against the University of Saskatchewan Huskies on the third weekend of the month went to overtime. On October 14, the T-Birds led 2–1 after two but fell 3–2 to the Huskies in overtime off a powerplay goal. The following day, they rebounded with a 2–1 win as Chanreet Bassi broke the tie in double overtime.

9. Men’s hockey scores 14 goals in one weekend

The UBC Men’s Hockey team scored a total of 14 goals in a pair of back-to-back victories against the University of Manitoba Bisons, despite blowing three-goal leads in both games. On Friday, October 7, the T-Birds held on to win 6–4, while they won 8–7 in Saturday’s game, which featured a hat trick from T-Bird forward and Winnipeg native Cyle McNabb.

8. Cross country sweeps Canada West championships

The UBC men’s and women’s cross country teams claimed the Canada West championship titles on October 29 in Abottsford. UBC’s Tyler Dozzi claimed the gold on the men’s side, and T-Bird Kiana Gibson won the race for women’s cross country’s fourth consecutive championship victory.

7. Women’s field hockey Hannah Rumble earns CW Goalkeeper of the Year

Women’s field hockey goalie and third-year arts student Hannah Rumble was named the Goalkeeper of the Year for the Canada West conference following a breakout year. She shut out the opposition in three of her five wins and backstop the Thunderbirds to a second place finish in the conference. Known for her strong technique, athletic prowess and ability to make clutch saves, this is the first time that Rumble has won this award.

6. Rowing wins big at prestigious Boston competition

The UBC varsity rowing teams travelled to the renowned Head Of The Charles Regatta in Boston, where both men's and women’s lightweight teams came from behind to earn a first-place victory. The men captured their first gold medal while the women repeated their performance from 2019.

5. Men’s basketball takes Buchanan Cup over NCAA rivals SFU

UBC men’s basketball defeated the NCAA Div II Red Leafs for the Buchanan Cup after a thrilling 79–73 victory in front of a packed gym. UBC’s huge 28-point second quarter pushed the 'Birds to win their 19th Buchanan Cup.

4. Women’s golf earns third straight Canada West championship

UBC captured their third consecutive Canada West title after beating their island rival, the University of Victoria Vikes. First-year Jessica Ng led the T-Birds, finishing second in the individual scoring.

3. Football clinches playoffs, downs previously undefeated Huskies

After starting the season 1–3, the T-Birds bested the conference-leading Huskies 35–29 to secure a spot in the playoffs. Isaiah Knight led the Thunderbirds offensively with an outstanding 231 total yards.

2. Women’s rugby becomes three-peat Canada West champs

In the Canada West semi-final, the Thunderbirds first conquered the University of Alberta Pandas 64–12. Savannah Bauder scored 34 points, 14 of which came from conversions. They then played the University of Victoria Vikes in the final, triumphing over them 24–12 for the division championship title.

1. Danielle Steer breaks all-time Canada West points record

Danielle Steer broke the all-time Canada West points record on October 14 as UBC women’s soccer secured a 3-0 victory over the Trinity Western Spartans. Steer’s two assists — one to Nisa Reehal and the other to Katalin Tolnai — gave her 67 points total to move her ahead of T-Birds alum Jasmine Dhanda's 65 points.