Thunderbirds dominate Brandon in double-win weekend

The UBC women’s basketball team won their double-header weekend against the University of Brandon Bobcats — the first time they’ve successfully won a weekend series since the first week of December when they soundly beat the UBC Okanagan Heat.

Friday’s game was a more commanding win for the ’Birds than Saturday’s. UBC scored 31 points in the first quarter alone and outscored the Bobcats in every quarter. Canada West offense leaders Maddison Penn and Keylyn Filewich led the ’Birds with 19 and 18 points respectively as UBC went on to win the game 80-53.

The Bobcats returned with a vengeance on Saturday evening, outscoring UBC 21 to 19 in the first quarter and 20 to 15 in the third quarter. The ’Birds answered with 21 and 18 points in the second and fourth quarters respectively, and kept Brandon to only eight points in the fourth.

Penn led UBC with a total of 24 points, giving her an incredible 43 points for the weekend. Saturday’s game also saw the T-Birds make a total of eight blocks and score 22 points of Brandon turnovers. UBC won the closely fought game 73 to 66 thanks to strong defence and a solid fourth quarter.

The ’Birds will face off with the University of Northern British Columbia Timberwolves next week at the War Memorial Gym.