Women's basketball edge Alberta out on Friday, beaten on saturday

The Thunderbird women’s basketball team won one game and lost another against the University of Alberta Golden Pandas this past weekend. The T-Birds still hold a 13-8 overall record and a 9-3 Canada West record, but they’re still trying to bounce back into the form they were in when they won eight games in a row in the beginning of the season.

Friday’s game was good for the ’Birds. The two teams went all out in scoring for the first three quarters of the game, with the T-Birds being held to only nine points in the third. But the T-Birds took off in the fourth, scoring 26 points and keeping the Golden Pandas to only 19. The T-Birds eventually won the game by a final score of 71-64.

Saturday’s game was more closely fought. Spectators were on hand to witness the T-Birds and the Golden Pandas go back and forth in scoring for the majority of the game. The T-Birds did pull ahead in the third quarter, scoring a total of 18 points and keeping the Golden Pandas down to just 10 points. But the Golden Pandas responded in the next quarter, scoring a total 22 points to UBC’s 15.

The game itself was only determined in the dying moments of the fourth quarter, where the Golden Pandas were able to take a three-point lead thanks to a successful free throw attempt. They eventually held on to take the game 60-57, much to the dismay of the T-Birds.

The T-Birds will now travel to Calgary next weekend to take on the Mount Royal Cougars in another two-game series.