Whitecaps thrill in draw with Colorado Switchbacks

Many people were expecting a wide open affair when the high flying Colorado Springs Switchbacks visited the Whitecaps FC2 at Thunderbird Stadium on Wednesday. The Switchbacks came in tied for third in the West and hold the title of highest scoring team in the USL. Meanwhile, WFC2 was coming off back-to-back wins against Cascadian rivals Seattle and Portland which had pushed the young side into the thick of the playoff race. The two attacking-minded teams did not disappoint as the game had a back-and-forth tempo that delighted the crowd despite finishing in a 2-2 draw.

The opening 45 minutes were as entertaining a half as Vancouver has played all season. Full of confidence after scoring three goals in the last two games, Spanish winger Victor Blasco threatened early and often, working with Marco Bustos to nearly put WFC2 in front on multiple occasions. Despite some early chances for the ‘Caps, it was the visitors who struck first.

Colorado centre back Josh Phillips reacted quickest amidst a mad scramble in front of Spencer Richey’s net off of a corner to give Colorado the lead after 10 minutes. After working hard to create a number of opportunities to equalize, it turned out to be a gift from Switchbacks keeper Samir Badr that proved to be the crucial ingredient for the Whitecaps. Venturing out of his box to field an errant pass, Badr’s clearance up the line only found Bustos who calmly lofted the ball into the vacated net from the 25.

Just before halftime, Colorado pushed their noses in front one more time as Craig Nitti made a mess of a headed clearance, forcing Diego Rodriguez to try to clean up. Instead, the Uruguayan clattered into Saeed Robinson as the attacker released the ball, causing the referee to immediately point to the penalty spot. Aaron King confidently stepped up and blasted the spot kick into the top corner minutes before the halftime whistle sounded.

The second half began with the same attacking intensity that was present throughout the first 45. Badr redeemed his earlier gaff by denying Billy Schuler from in close two minutes into the second frame. The keeper could not keep out the young ‘Caps for much longer however as Andre Lewis tied the game in the 51st minute thanks to some more magic from Blasco. The young midfielder, who had tormented Colorado’s right back Jamie McGuinness all evening, beat his marker to the end line before crossing to the back post where Lewis tapped in his second of the year. The field began to tilt even more in the ‘Caps favour as the half progressed. Lewis wasted a glorious chance over the net in the 56th while Bustos fired his breakaway attempt straight into Badr’s grateful arms to ensure the home side would settle for the single point.

“We’re frustrated, “ said Alan Koch following the match. “We’re at the place now where we go into every game expecting three points. We've done a good job of getting three points in the last few games but didn’t do the job tonight.”

Despite earning a point off of one of the premier teams in the league, WFC2 were left ruing their missed opportunities following the match.

“We had so many chances and we couldn't finish them,” said Blasco. “I think we had the best first half of the season but sometimes soccer is like that…. We were unlucky today but we’ll keep going.”

The ‘Caps will look to solve their road woes as they head to Portland for a clash with the Timbers 2 on Sunday.