Submit an opinion piece

We highlight student voices like yours every day in our Opinion section. Send us a letter and you could be published!

Opinions policy

Article content

The Ubyssey accepts opinion articles on any topic related to the University of British Columbia (UBC) and/or topics relevant to students attending UBC. Submissions must be written by UBC students, professors, alumni, or those in a suitable position (as determined by the opinions editor) to speak on UBC-related matters.

Submissions must not contain racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, harassment or discrimination. Authors and/or submissions will not be precluded from publication based solely on association with particular ideologies or subject matter that some may find objectionable. Approval for publication is, however, dependent on the quality of the argument and the Ubyssey editorial board’s judgment of appropriate content. The Ubyssey reserves the right to edit submissions for length and clarity.

Submitting an opinion piece

Articles typically run from 300 to 800 words, but submissions of any length will be considered. The opinions editor will provide guidance and feedback to the writer, but completed submissions are preferred. Submissions may be sent by email to opinion@ubyssey.ca, or through the form above. Please include your student number or other proof of identification.

Anonymity

Anonymous submissions will be accepted on extremely rare occasions. Requests for anonymity will be granted upon agreement from four fifths of the editorial board.

If you wish to retract your submission please inform the opinions editor before it is published and it will not be. Unfortunately, we cannot reply to all submissions — if you do not hear from us within one week, please assume that we will not be able to use your article.