The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: Pacific Theatre opens a gateway into childhood nostalgia

In Pacific Theatre’s reimagining of the tale of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, siblings Peter and Lucy Pevensie are grown up, but still caught up in memories of their time in Narnia.

The play is a reimagining of C. S. Lewis’ classic novel set during World War II, where four children are sent to a large estate house — while exploring, they come across a wardrobe that transports them to the magical land of Narnia.

The door to Narnia has since closed, but only some of the magic is gone.

The siblings recount their adventures in Narnia in this two-person performance by Rebecca deBoer and John Voth, adapted by Ron Reed.

Armed with just a magical wardrobe, the two performers recreate the wondrous land of Narnia through their movements. As Lucy, Deboer invites us to witness childlike wonder through her passionate tales of the magical land. Voth showcases Peter’s bravery and humility, while keeping the audience chuckling and engaged by his lighthearted nature.

UBC alum and director Sarah Rodgers directed the play in 2018, and is returning for this revival to provide an even deeper look into the hearts of Lucy and Peter.

Rodgers does a fantastic job keeping Narnia's magic alive for the holidays — a time where this need for joy and wonder comes to the forefront, as we let go of the responsibilities of work and school.

“I hope audiences discover what is so joyous about delving into Narnia. It takes us to a place of childhood and a place where we can play. It’s a play that allows viewers to come out filled with the wonder of magic and childhood,” said Rodgers.

The story of the Pevensies is an audience favourite, and one that Rodgers has always loved, which has added an extra layer of excitement to this project.

“I feel spoiled working with my amazing team,” said Rodgers. ”They truly feel like a family.”

It’s evident that the heart of this production and the Pacific Theatre is with the people involved in it. The attention to detail in each aspect of the performance was remarkable, from the set design to the actors' performances. It was a truly immersive experience that will leave you feeling connected to the story and the characters in a way you’ve never felt before.

If you're looking for a heartwarming and magical show to watch with your loved ones during the holiday season, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is an absolute must-see. Whether you're a fan of the beloved book series or simply looking for a new holiday tradition, this show is timeless — it definitely delighted and entertained audiences of all ages this season, and is sure to continue doing so in future productions.

Catch the final performance of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on December 23 at Pacific Theatre. Tickets are available here.