What to expect from Firstweek this year

This past year of online learning forced many events to adapt — AMS Firstweek was no exception.

With empty classrooms and a nearly deserted campus, the AMS made the decision to go virtual for Firstweek last year. Along with a few in-person events capped at 50 people, Firstweek took place primarily online.

“We had a mix of virtual and in-person events because there were still a few first years who were on campus, and they traveled across the world to come to campus, so we felt that we needed to provide them with some experience,” Events Manager Rishavraj Das told The Ubyssey prior to Firstweek last year.

This year, with the return of in-person classes also comes the return of in-person Firstweek. In order to ease students back into campus life, the organizers of Firstweek have planned a variety of fun events.

['auto'] Courtesy AMS Events

“We’re really excited to organize 30+ events throughout the month of September for the students of UBC,” Das said.

One new event this year is a collaboration with the Thunderbirds Dance Team: flash mobs. With the places and times kept under wraps, students should be on the lookout for these choreographed performances.

Another new event this year is Boba Wars — a bubble tea event — in collaboration with Teadot, the new bubble tea shop in the Nest.

Returning students familiar with previous Firstweek events might be happy to know that the Welcome Back BBQ will be coming back this year… well, almost. Since this year’s event will look a little different, a little smaller, than past Welcome Back BBQ events, the AMS have decided to call it the Almost Welcome Back BBQ this year.

When asked about the free Almost Welcome Back BBQ set to take place on Friday, September 17, Das spoke of the attractions. “There’s going to be local artists, there’s going to be food trucks, as well as vintage vendors.”

With a plethora of new and returning events, this year’s Firstweek should be one to remember.

“We are really excited to welcome students back to UBC,” Das said.