Pat Carney, politician and Ubyssey alum, dies at 88

Pat Carney is being remembered for forging a path for women in politics and journalism.

Carney, who is best known for being an MP under the Progressive Conservative Party from 1980–1988, died on July 25 at 88 years old.

She was known for pioneering roles for women in Canadian journalism and politics as the first female Conservative member of Parliament elected in BC and the first female Conservative appointed from the province to the Senate.

Before Carney reached the national stage, she attended UBC. Here, she reported and edited for The Ubyssey, while also serving stints as the paper’s news and features editors in 1954.

At The Ubyssey, Carney received bronze, silver and gold pins awarded to her at the Publications Board banquet which recognized the work of UBC student press “pubsters.”

Articles from 1953 (left), 1954 (centre) and 1955 (right) that announce the pubster awards.
Articles from 1953 (left), 1954 (centre) and 1955 (right) that announce the pubster awards. Ubyssey Archives

Carney reported on all facets of the student experience but often wrote about jazz, blood donation and beer.

Headlines include "Jazzsoc concert best yet," "Reporter says bleeders treat you good," and "Take it easy beer scoffers; Parlours will not close yet."

Articles Carney wrote about jazz on campus, dated March 1953 to February 1954.
Articles Carney wrote about jazz on campus, dated March 1953 to February 1954. Ubyssey Archives
One of Carney's "odd assignment[s]" at the paper included writing about blood donation in the October 6, 1953 (left) and February 5, 1954 (right) issues.
One of Carney's "odd assignment[s]" at the paper included writing about blood donation in the October 6, 1953 (left) and February 5, 1954 (right) issues. Ubyssey Archives
Carney wrote about beer on campus for the November 20, 1953 (left) and September 15, 1954 (right) issues.
Carney wrote about beer on campus for the November 20, 1953 (left) and September 15, 1954 (right) issues. Ubyssey Archives

Her humour shined through her articles and her 1955 column, The Gripe Vine which poked fun at AMS student politicians while informing the student body.

A "The Gripe Vine" article published January 14, 1955.
A "The Gripe Vine" article published January 14, 1955. Ubyssey Archives

Carney also worked on an article series about UBC’s extension program which allowed students to participate in distance learning. She wrote four articles over the course of a month.

A series of articles Carney wrote about UBC's extension department in January 1954.
A series of articles Carney wrote about UBC's extension department in January 1954. Ubyssey Archives

After graduating from UBC in 1960 with a bachelor’s degree in economics and political science, she worked as a business columnist for the Vancouver Sun and the Province. According to her website, Carney was the first woman business columnist for a major daily Canadian newspaper.

In the 70s, Carney returned to UBC for a master’s degree in regional planning.

And though Carney stopped writing for The Ubyssey after her graduation, the paper never stopped writing about her.

In the 1979/80 academic year, The Ubyssey covered the federal election and Carney’s win as the MP for Vancouver Centre.

A "Carney for MP" advertisement in the February 5, 1980 issue of The Ubyssey.
A "Carney for MP" advertisement in the February 5, 1980 issue of The Ubyssey. Ubyssey Archives

Carney won one election too late to secure a role as a cabinet minister since the Conservatives were now the official opposition party, and The Ubyssey said she “will spend most days in house sawing wood.”

An article announcing the Liberal majority government and Carney's first MP win.
An article announcing the Liberal majority government and Carney's first MP win. Ubyssey Archives

But Carney proved The Ubyssey wrong.

During her first term in the House of Commons, Carney was the finance critic and the critic for energy, mines and resources. She was the first woman to hold either role.

After the 1984 election, under a Conservative federal government, Carney served as the Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources and in 1986, she was named Minister of International Trade.

In 1990, Carney was appointed to the Senate of Canada. As a senator, Carney advocated for abortion rights.

Carney voted against Conservative party’s Bill C-43 in 1991, which would sentence doctors to two years in jail for providing abortions when they are not medically necessary.

According to a Globe and Mail opinion article, Carney said she was the “the first Conservative senator to vote ‘nay’ against my own government’s anti-abortion bill.”

“There was no doubt about how I would vote,” wrote Carney. “I had told my voters that I believed a decision on an abortion was the right of a woman, her conscience and her doctors … Behind every abortion statistic there is a story of fear, anguish, guilt, remorse and other emotions.”

The bill did not pass. There has not been a similar bill introduced to the House of Commons since.

In 2011, Carney was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada for how her “achievements as a journalist, politician and senator have contributed to Canada's economic and political development,” and for her advocacy for women’s rights, arthritis research and the preservation of Canadian lighthouses and maritime history.

Carney has been remembered online by journalists and politicians alike.

Ubyssey alum and Tyee reporter Zak Vescera said Carney “was incredibly gracious with her time, and had a story for everything, about everything.”

Former MP Jody Wilson-Raybould called her a “kind, generous & wise leader,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Carney was “a trailblazer – in politics and in journalism” and Green party leader Elizabeth May said she was “heartbroken” over Carney’s death.

“Such an honour to know her,” wrote May. “I will miss her so very much.”