​​When they see (all) of us

When I was six, my brother got glasses.

Jealous of all the attention he received, I pretended that my vision was blurry so our parents would get my eyes tested too. You can guess who actually needed glasses.

Though my little plan backfired, it led me to learn I can see myself and the world in 20/20 vision. But the same can’t always be said for others.

The next time you’re in front of a mirror, ask yourself two questions: what do people see of you, and what is really there?

When others look at me, they see a Black woman but there’s so much more to me than that.

As someone with numerous layered identities, I’ve found that intersectionality is a reaaaallly long tug-of-war game. In some places and spaces, you can only show a single part of yourself, while others demand you hide that part entirely.

A night out on Davie Street might not warrant a conversation about how anti-Black racism can run rampant in the Queer community. My upper-class business school peers don’t always want to hear about working-class struggles they don’t relate to.

Although people might pick and choose what part of me they celebrate, that doesn’t take away from what I know in my heart. I know some people would dismiss me if I proudly owned some elements of my identity in their presence. I know that regardless of whether you recognize my Blackness or my womanhood or any other piece of me, I will always hold close the safety and wellbeing of these communities.

And it certainly doesn’t take away how belittling it is for people to take it upon themselves to pick and show your identity for you.

I’m Black. I’m a woman. I’m an immigrant. I’m the product of a working-class family. I’m a fervent celebrator of Pride. I’m so much more than just one thing, and I have immeasurable honour and joy in embracing all of these identities at once.

Let this be the start of a small revolution. We no longer entertain those who ask us “Aren’t you Black before you’re…?”

At first glance, maybe I am, but don’t get it twisted.

I am everything. Everywhere. All at once. So if you really want to see me, you have to wipe those glasses and see all of me.

This is part of the UBC Black Student Union and The Ubyssey's 2024 Black History Month supplement, titled Intersections. Read the full supplement here.