AMS hosts second annual Indigenous Culture Month

The AMS is hosting its second annual Indigenous Culture Month this October.

The AMS is holding at least four events in the Nest throughout the month, with the aim of spreading information and sharing knowledge about Indigenous cultures, practices, traditions and identities. 

One of the AMS's main objectives is to teach UBC students how the painful history of residential schools still impacts Indigenous peoples, AMS Indigenous Engagement Facilitator Alex Vollant said.

“A lot of people wonder, what is reconciliation even about? I get that question every single day,” Vollant said. “We hope to be able to build bridges between communities [and] between student groups who will be able then to talk and dialogue and say this is what happened.”

To kick off the month Maistoo'awaastaan gave a talk in the Nest on October 5 on Two-Spirit identity and Indigenous gender expression. Maistoo'awaastaan is a member of the Piikani, Niitsitapi First Nation and a recent UBC graduate.

On October 11, storyteller Kung Jaadee will be speaking in the Nest about famous Haida and Squamish legends. She will also share Haida songs and words in Xaad Kil, the Haida language. 

At the end of the month, the AMS will be hosting a craft fair to make and buy crafts from Indigenous crafters and a book fair highlighting Indigenous authors.

Vollant said they are also working on organizing concerts featuring Indigenous artists. 

More information about the events and volunteer opportunities can be found under the Student Life tab on the official AMS website and through updates on the AMS's Instagram @ams_ubc. 

The AMS will also set up booths around the Nest if students want to learn more about the events being held. Some booths will be sharing Indigenous foods as well. Booth location and times can be found on the AMS’s social media.

“It's been wonderful to see how everyone can work together in such a way for such something that is very important to the society,” Vollant said. “I think all of us working together is what is going to help us make the event a success.”