Candidate profile: Chayan Lu, VP administration

First-year arts student Chayan Lu is running for VP administration to improve clubs’ experience when accessing AMS resources and communicating with the AMS.

Lu, who started at UBC this February, said she has been reaching out to club executives to learn about issues they have been facing.

“I think my job is to try to figure out what is the main … problem for different types of clubs,” she said.

In her short time at UBC, Lu said she has already identified one of the most pressing issues she wishes to address: the Nest room booking system through CampusBase. At the first candidates’ debate, she suggested replacing it with one similar to the UBC Library study room booking site.

Lu also questioned why some clubs were “in existence” and said that they were competing for the already-limited resources for other clubs during the first debate.

At the Great Debate, she clarified that she did not mean to imply that some clubs shouldn't exist, but that some are ineffective.

She acknowledged that some clubs have been using other platforms besides CampusBase which appear to be more effective. She said she is waiting for a conversation with an IT professional to discuss potential solutions to the website.

Lu, however, seemed unfamiliar with the privacy issues that have affected CampusBase in the past. She explained that its problems — including the data leaks — are attributed to disregard.

“I think the reason why there's so many issues inside CampusBase is because people do not put so much attention on it.”

Another issue Lu identified is the communication gap between the AMS, clubs and students. She also said that AMS policies are confusing, which impedes clubs’ abilities to find solutions and resources.

Lu acknowledged that some of her proposed solutions — which she did not disclose — may not be feasible.

“I’m not sure whether they’re realistic,” she said.

When asked about her motivation to run, Lu provided two reasons: to enhance her application to a program — for which she has received regrets from, twice — and because she has the confidence to become the next VP administration.

“At the end of this year, December, there’s going to be another opportunity for reaching my goal of this program. And so, that’s the reason why this leadership experience is going to be really, really meaningful for me.”

Lu declined to share more about or name the program when asked.

“I'm really sorry, but this is actually kind of a secret to me. But it's kind of like a goal that I really, really want.”

In the Great Debate, she said her motivations changed and that she found new passion for the role through campaigning.

While Lu claims extensive experience, she pointed only to her tenure as president of a high school dancing club, where she expanded its membership, developed new programs and collaborated with other clubs.

Lu is running against Anuoluwapo Awotunde, Ian Caguiat, Anvi Kumar and Jake Sawatzky for VP admin.

Follow us at @UbysseyNews on Twitter and follow our election coverage starting February 27. This article is part of our 2023 AMS Elections coverage.