CHEM 233 students allege 'hostile learning environment,' call for changes in open letter to department

Seventy CHEM 233 students have signed an open letter alleging the course coordinator and instructors have created “a hostile learning environment.”

The letter — addressed to Dr. Michael Wolf, head of the chemistry department — alleges that after a midterm average of 55 per cent, course instruction sped up significantly to "catch up to other classes." Additionally, the letter asserts that in-person and online questions were met with hostility from instructors Dr. Jolene Reid, Dr. Nigare Raheem and TAs.

The letter pointed to an October 19 document sent to students by course coordinator Dr. John Sherman as a source for their anxiety around asking questions. The document stipulated that any questions on Piazza must be “well thought out, researched, and unique,” which students wrote in the letter discouraged them from asking questions online.

“With low overall averages on examinations, the teaching team should be encouraging questions and making it clear that their classrooms are safe spaces for curiosity and for addressing incomplete understanding,” the letter reads.

BIPOC students also felt uncomfortable going to Sherman to ask questions following his in-class comments in January about race and IQ, according to the letter. Sherman was initially placed on indefinite leave after this incident. It is unclear when Sherman returned to teaching.

Raheem and Reid did not respond to multiple requests for comment. Sherman declined to comment.

The letter requests that students’ final grades be scaled to match last year’s 67.66 per cent average, as well as for the reconsideration of Sherman as course coordinator.

When the letter was sent and if there was any action before this is unclear. The Ubyssey contacted several students who signed the letter but did not hear back before publishing time.

In response to a request for comment from Wolf, UBC Media Relations Director of University Affairs Matthew Ramsey wrote that the university was aware of the concerns raised in the letter.

“UBC and Faculty of Science are committed to fostering supportive learning environments and have a variety of measures and policies in place with which to access and address student feedback," Ramsey wrote. "We cannot comment on the specifics of any human resources matters due to privacy considerations."