English professor Mandy Len Catron talks love, writing and the fame of her ‘New York Times’ article

Since writing her New York Times article “To Fall in Love with Anyone, Do This,” UBC English professor Mandy Len Catron has been bombarded by media attention.

Catron's writing has been published in literary journals in the past but a combination of retweets, Facebook shares and the popularity of the New York Times has helped Catron’s latest piece reach its current viral stature.

“I really wasn’t prepared for the amount of attention that came my way,” said Catron. For her, this piece of writing was no better and no worse than any other writing she had ever published, but it resonated with over 5 million readers in less than a week.

Catron, whose writing often focuses on the art and science of love, believes this is part of a growing trend for new writers to find creative spaces online rather than in traditional realms like literary journals and academia.

“Writing in a literary journal just feels like firing an essay into the abyss,” said Catron.

Showing previous examples of her work published in literary journals, Catron mentioned that her biggest complaint was a small readership and nearly nonexistent communication with her readers.

“For me as a writer I don’t want accolades, though they are really wonderful," said Catron. "I want readers, and social media is a really great way to find them."

Catron publishes some of her writing on a blog titled "the love story project." She also encourages all would-be writers to consider blogging as a way to get feedback on their writing and help develop ideas.

“I think there are advantages of a blog that take some very solitary thing and makes it social and collaborative,” said Catron. “The people I’m close to always talk to me about the things that I’m writing about and that to me helps me think through those ideas more.”

For Catron, blogging has allowed her to reach her community of friends and fans for both inspiration and criticism.

Though she enjoyed all the opportunities that came with her instant fame, Catron also said that “I look forward to being forgotten about soon.”

Catron considers her role as an educator and professor to be her primary focus and is glad that her article’s success has not interfered in this aspect of her life. Up to this point, Catron has only had one of her students approach her about the article, which she feels explores a more personal and vulnerable side of the professor.

While her newfound fame might later affect her classes on creative writing, Catron said that it will not influence her classes on literature and composition at all.

"I want to focus on my students and how they’re writing and they’re thinking,” said Catron.

She hopes that her new spike in Twitter followers will help her when discussing book deals with possible agents. Before writing this article, Catron had anticipated asking agents and editors to look at her writing, but has now found herself in the privileged position of having officials asking her if she had any more instead. As far as possible themes for a potential book, Catron is sticking to her favourite subject: love.

“I love love stories," said Catron. "They are compelling and I think most of us love them so what I want to understand is ‘well if they don’t make us better at love, what do they offer us?”