Gage Averill appointed as permanent provost and VP academic

Provost and VP Academic pro tem Gage Averill has been appointed to serve in the position long-term at UBC Vancouver.

Interim President and Vice-Chancellor Deborah Buszard announced the appointment in a broadcast message Tuesday morning.

Buszard wrote that the provost and vice president academic “plays a vital role” at the university, focusing on providing leadership to faculties and the institution, overseeing the budget and “ensuring UBC maintains excellence in its delivery of undergraduate, graduate and professional education.”

Before this appointment, Averill served as the provost and vice-president academic pro tem by a recommendation by an ad-hoc committee that met in fall 2021, according to former President and Vice-Chancellor Santa Ono. Averill was previously the Faculty of Arts dean.

Buszard thanked the search committee, which was established in spring 2022.

The search committee consisted of Ono, four members of the Board of Governors, Dean and Vice-Provost Susan Porter, three members of the Vancouver Senate (including AMS President Eshana Bhangu), Senior Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs Sheryl Lightfoot in her role as a faculty member, Associate Professor Minelle Mahtani and two students.

Buszard congratulated Averill on his appointment.

“Professor Averill has already contributed so much to UBC during his time at the university, and I am confident that his expertise and commitment will continue to be seen in his role as Provost.”