Geography department starts monthly Green Days to encourage remote work and climate education

Starting on October 28, the Department of Geography at UBC is initiating Green Days, in which the department is encouraged to work from home to reduce transit emissions for the day. 

Nina Hewitt, associate professor of teaching arts in the geography department and committee chair of the department’s Climate Action Committee, spoke to The Ubyssey about Green Days. 

Hewitt said the COVID-19 pandemic shined a light on issues surrounding automobile traffic, noise and air pollution - all prevalent in the City of Vancouver. 

“During the pandemic there was as a lot less traffic and fumes, which I think is really important, not just for climate change, but also for human health and well being. Because ... climate change and health and well being issues are so closely tied.” 

“‘We [wanted to] build on the lessons of the pandemic,” said Hewitt.

As such, ‘Green Days’ was presented at the Interdepartmental Climate Committee meeting as a “grassroots proposal” which would provide remote learning one day a month in hopes of reducing the department's climate impact, said Hewitt. 

Hewitt stressed how they recognize that for some instructors and courses it may not be feasible to teach remotely. However, this proposal is equally about implementing “climate content” and increasing understanding and dialogue around the climate crisis in their teachings when possible. 

Suzanne Lawrence, an undergraduate advisor in the department of geography echoed Hewitt.

“We're trying to create a culture of change,” said Lawrence. 

Lawrence stated that while this idea stemmed from the pandemic, the 2019 Climate Action Strike also sparked the creation of Green Days. 

“[The Climate Action Strike] really fostered a sense of community and hope that we wanted to capture again,” said Lawrence. 

“Collective action is empowering ... when [students] are empowered to change, they can change the world.” 

Holly Denson-Camp, a geography undergraduate student and member of Climate Action Committee wrote on the Green Days Webpage that “we hope this initiative will continue to spread across campus to make as meaningful an impact as possible and inspire further climate work from the UBC Community.” 

“What makes this initiative so potentially impactful is the ability for any UBC department or organization to meaningfully participate.”