Here are the referenda on the ballot for the 2022 AMS elections

This year’s AMS elections will have four referenda on the ballot.

Three of the questions were put forward by AMS Council, while one was student-led by the Bike Kitchen. Students will be able to vote on the referenda on March 7–11.

Stay tuned for a full explainer of the questions and what they could mean for students.

Bike Kitchen fee increase

A referendum by the Bike Kitchen is asking to increase its student fees from $1.14 to $5. The Kitchen was already struggling financially before the pandemic, but COVID-19 worsened its financial state. Staff say the $3.86 could result in financial stability and let the Bike Kitchen shift gears back to pre-COVID-19 operation levels.

The question reads:

Do you support a fee increase of $3.86 for The Bike Kitchen?

SASC fee increase

The AMS-operated Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) is seeking a fee increase. The Centre has seen its use triple since their last fee increase in 2019, and now it’s asking for a $6.42 increase to its fee, from $9.58 per student to $16. They say the increase in funds will be used for expanding leadership capacity and hiring for staff shortages.

The question reads:

Do you support an increase of $6.42 in the fee for the Sexual Assault Support Services Fund ($9.58 to $16) for the academic year 2022-23?

Note: All money raised through this fee will be deposited in the Sexual Assault Support Services Fund and may be used only for sexual assault support services and initiatives. Any money raised through this fee but not used in a given year shall remain in the fund for use in a subsequent year for sexual assault support services.

Note: The fee shall continue to be increased annually in accordance with the BC CPI.

Bylaw and constitution amendments

The AMS is proposing altering its constitution and making 16 separate changes to its bylaws.

The constitutional amendment for 2022 involves adding a land acknowledgement to the preamble to the xwməθkwəy̓ əm (Musqueam) people. Other proposed changes alter the objectives of the AMS to include affiliated institutions and add equity commitments for the treatment of members.

Changes proposed include limits for associate members, revisions to the duties of the VP academic and university affairs and adjustments to the rules for annual general meeting operations following a failure to reach quorum.

Other proposed alterations involve ensuring council has the power to remove anyone they appointed, adding provisions for temporarily replacing an executive during leaves of absences, abolishing proxies, banning slates and including sustainability in executive duties, among other modifications.

The question reads:

Do you support and approve amending the AMS Bylaws and Constitution in accordance with the changes presented in the documents entitled Proposed Changes to AMS Bylaws and the AMS Constitution?

Summary of Changes

Full Constitutional Changes

Full Bylaw Changes

Digital opt out and fee reductions

The AMS is proposing a digital opt out on any fees that can be opted out of by students. They are also proposing a reduction in certain fees. The Childcare Bursary Fund fee of $1.18 would be eliminated, the Clubs Benefit Fund would be reduced, and the Lighter Footprint/Sustainability Projects Fee would be renamed and see reduced fees.

The question reads:

Do you support and approve the following changes and reductions to the AMS student fees?

i) Requiring all opt-outable fees to be opt-outable by digital means. (Note: Organizations collecting opt-outable fees shall ensure there is a digital opt-out option by the 2023-24 year.)

ii) Eliminating the $1.18 fee for the Childcare Bursary Fund. (Note: This fund currently has approximately $320,000 in it, and funding will continue to be disbursed from the remaining amount)

iii) Reducing the fee for the Clubs Benefit Fund from $1.78 to $0.75. (Note: This fund currently has approximately $700,000 in it.)

iv) Renaming the Lighter Footprint/Sustainable Projects Fee as the Climate Action Fee and reducing it from $2.66 to $1.50. (Note: The fund associated with this fee currently has approximately $580,000 in it.)

Note: The two reduced fees will continue to be indexed to the BC Consumer Price Index.

Follow us at @UbysseyNews on Twitter and follow our election coverage starting February 28. This article is part of our 2022 AMS elections coverage.