Peer Support and SASC offering free hormone injection supplies

AMS Peer Support and Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) have started offering free hormone injection supplies as a means to support gender-affirming hormone therapy.

The access to these additional supplies began in mid-February.

In a statement to The Ubyssey, AMS Senior Student Services Manager Kathleen Simpson wrote this project was started as a collaboration between Peer Support and SASC to address the inaccessibility of free and anonymous hormone injection supplies.

“Safer use supplies greatly reduce the risk of injury or infection associated with re-using or sharing injections and other substance-use materials, so access to these supplies can be life-saving for folks who use them,” wrote Simpson.

The AMS is offering both intramuscular and subcutaneous hormone kits consisting of sterile needles, sterile syringe barrels, alcohol swabs and sharps containers.

Students and UBC community can access these supplies in-person from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday to Friday at the AMS Peer Support Centre (NEST 3125).

Additionally, anonymous forms are available on the AMS Peer Support website. Anonymous pick-ups are available two business days after the form is submitted at NEST 3125.

“We believe access to these supplies and to non judgemental mental health care more broadly is a human right and should be available to all UBC Community Members,” wrote Simpson.