RCMP make two arrests in connection with alleged armed carjacking on campus

Update October 22, 4:50 p.m.: UBC RCMP has confirmed in a press release that two people were arrested in North Vancouver in connection to the armed carjacking incident.

The RCMP is asking for public assistance after a UBC student was allegedly robbed on campus by two men with a handgun.

On September 17 at 6:30 p.m., a woman was returning to her car on the tenth floor of West Parkade when two men approached her. According to the RCMP’s press release, one allegedly brandished a black “palm-sized” handgun and demanded her keys. After the victim obeyed, the two suspects entered the vehicle and fled.

The victim is reportedly uninjured.

University RCMP released descriptions of the suspects in what they called a “brazen daylight robbery.”

The man who held the gun is described as South Asian, six feet tall and wearing a grey hoodie and black joggers. The second man wore a dark long-sleeved shirt and pants and was of unknown ethnicity.

The stolen vehicle is a grey 2007 Kia Spectra with the BC license plate 308 PSG.

UBC issued a statement saying that it is aware of the incident and aiding in investigation efforts.

“This is obviously an incident of great concern to the university and we are working with RCMP in whatever ways are required. We are also working to ensure our campus community is made aware of this incident so faculty, students and staff can be mindful of their safety,” wrote Kurt Heinrich, senior director of UBC media relations.

If the vehicle or suspects are spotted, RCMP advises people not to approach and call 911 immediately.

On October 22, UBC RCMP released a statement confirming that an investigation resulted in the arrest of two individuals in connection to the September carjacking incident. The investigation involved several police departments and the arrests were made in North Vancouver after the RCMP was notified by a member of the public.

“A great deal of credit is due [sic] the alert person who called us,” said Sergeant DeVries of the North Vancouver RCMP in a written statement. “They figured they were just reporting a reckless driver in their cul-de-sac. What they couldn't have known was that they were actually helping take two violent, dangerous criminals off the street.”