The Point shuttered three weeks before planned due to "operational challenges"

The Point has unexpectedly closed today just three weeks after announcing that the outlet would permanently end operations on the last day of classes.

Marine Drive’s restaurant The Point, located on the main floor of the residence’s Building 4, had been open for over 14 years.

The space is set to be a location for production support and the growth of Sage Catering on campus to expand the organization’s delivery components.

“I just want to express my gratitude to all of our employees who have served the campus community at The Point,” said Colin Moore, director of UBC Food Services.

“I am proud and grateful that we've served over 1.5 million customers and we've employed hundreds, probably close to 300 or 400 staff over that time, and many of them have been UBC students.”

But as Moore pointed out, the restaurant business is challenging. The ultimate decision to close early came down to “some unforeseen operational challenges and employee availability.”

“Over this past year we have engaged with the UBC community to renew The Point,” said Moore in a previous written statement to The Ubyssey.

“While customer feedback about those changes has been positive, inflation and the competitive food service environment on campus means operating The Point is not financially sustainable,” Moore wrote.

As of March 2, the restaurant only operated on weekends. According to the food outlet’s Instagram page, today’s lunch was the staff’s final service.

Moore said all of the restaurant’s CUPE 116 and AAPS employees will resume equivalent positions at other UBC food service operations in outlets including Sage Catering and other residence dining and retail locations.

While a restaurant similar to The Point will not be returning to Marine Drive for the foreseeable future, Moore said that “casual, sit down dining [experiences]” such as Open Kitchen are available during the winter semesters on the west side of campus.

“I think sometimes people don't know that they're open to everybody. But they're there to provide that amazing connection to life at UBC.”

In 2022, UBC shifted to an all-access dining plan — after which first-year dorm residents were no longer able to use a major portion of their meal plan funds to eat at the restaurant. Moore did not note this as a factor in the restaurant's closure.