Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month at UBC: How on-campus groups are celebrating Asian culture

May is Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month and groups at UBC are celebrating in their own ways.

This month-long celebration is dedicated to showcasing the culture and contributions made by Asian-Canadians.

May was officially declared Asian Heritage Month after the first appointed Asian senator, Vivienne Poy, proposed it in a 2001 motion.

Although many cultural clubs are inactive over the summer, UBC Events has organized a selection of discussions and panels to celebrate the month.

Among them was a virtual event recently held by the department of Asian studies called “Exploring Asian Heritage in Vancouver”.

UBC alumni and lecturers sat on the panel and responded to questions forwarded by the community.

Connie Yuchun Wu, the communications and events coordinator of the Asian studies department, said that it was important to highlight a diverse range of individuals with Asian heritage who come from different geographical and educational backgrounds as well as age groups.

Wu also said that the insightful discussion that resulted from the event was a great opportunity to share Asian heritage with students and the broader community.

“Not everyone is aware of Asian Heritage Month in Canada,” Wu said.

Ben Han, an executive of the UBC Hua Dialogue student group, said that it is crucial to acknowledge the diversity within the Asian diaspora and to create open discourse.

“Perhaps the most crucial point regarding Asian heritage is its complexity, diversity but also precarity,” Han said. “There is really no one singular, ‘correct’ way to celebrate and promote Asian heritage.”

Han said that the recent surge in violence against the Asian community, as well as the history of racist policies instituted by the Canadian government, makes this month even more significant.

“It is hence even more important for Asian communities like Hua Dialogue to actively and constantly launch and engage in events where we celebrate our identity and memorialize our stories,” Han said.

Wu encouraged those who are not of Asian heritage to participate in events related to this month. She said that it is a great opportunity to combat misunderstandings and stereotypes of Asian culture.

“It’s a great chance to learn what real Asians are like and to have a deeper and more correct understanding of Asian heritage,” Wu said.