UBC takes charge of rapid test distribution after VCH closes on-campus testing site

UBC started distributing rapid COVID-19 tests last week after Vancouver Coastal Health’s on-campus testing site closed in late Janurary.

On January 27, Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) closed the UBC Life Sciences COVID-19 testing site. According to a statement posted on the VCH website, the site “was established as a temporary testing location on December 24th to support other Vancouver-based sites from late December through to Jan. 2022.”

Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) spoke to the closure of the UBC Life Sciences COVID-19 testing site in a statement sent to The Ubyssey.

“Since new provincial testing guidelines were introduced on January 18th, VCH has recorded a significant reduction in testing volumes across all of its testing sites, including the testing site located on UBC campus.”

“People with symptoms who are eligible for a test can visit any site operating in the VCH region. Other VCH testing sites have sufficient resources and capacity to meet the current demand for testing services, including the test volume recorded at the UBC site,” the statement read.

While VCH will not set up another on-campus testing site, UBC announced that community members will be able to get a rapid test by showing a piece of UBC ID starting February 7. Like the testing site at the Life Sciences Centre, people must be symptomatic to receive a testing kit.

The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) recently announced that “most people [do not] need testing.” Instead testing is now only recommended for those who are symptomatic and are either immunocompromised, not fully vaccinated or live and work in high-risk settings.

Matthew Ramsey, director of university affairs at UBC Media Relations, did not comment on whether UBC will distribute tests based on BCCDC’s guidelines.

Ramsey said that UBC currently has more than 30,000 rapid tests.

“It’s not really a question of running out [of rapid-tests], it’s a question of how much demand there is and [UBC] will adjust as required”

“The symptomatic testing program is a measure taken by the university which is designed to provide an additional layer of protection for the UBC community in addition to public health measures,” he added.

According to the UBC Safety and Risk Services website, tests are being distributed outside the bookstore. The hours of operation are Monday to Friday 10 a.m.–12 p.m., and 1–3 p.m.

The hours of operation are subject to change based on test kit availability. Students can check the Covid-19 Rapid Antigen Testing Kits webpage for such information.