A ‘momentous occasion’: UBC, Tŝilhqot’in sign Memorandum of Understanding

On Wednesday morning, UBC and the Tŝilhqot’in National Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in the Jack Poole Hall of the UBC Alumni Centre. Musqueam Elder Larry Grant called this signing a “momentous occasion” and said this constituted “concrete action” in the process of reconciliation.

The MOU outlines UBC and the Tŝilhqot’in nation’s intent to work together in sustainability research efforts in a manner that respects Indigenous sovereignty. Kevin Hanna, an associate professor of earth and environmental sciences, said at the signing that the MOU “completely changes how we work in our institution.” The MOU is focused on recognizing and challenging systematic power imbalances. It’s also in line with UBC’s own Indigenous Strategic Plan.

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

Elder Larry Grant began the event by welcoming attendees to Musqueam territory. The event ended with a gift exchange from the Tŝilhqot’in chiefs to UBC President Santa Ono.

The history of colonization and the erosion of Indigenous ways of life were at the core of yesterday’s discussion.

Pamela Barnes, a knowledge keeper from the Westbank First Nation, reminded all the attendees that the “lands which we stay on are made up with the blood and bones of our people” and that the sharing of said land was only a recent phenomenon in the history of First Nations in Canada.

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

“We could all do better, ourselves included, in taking care of the land,” Barnes said.

Land was a recurring theme, as is with all conversations about colonization — ties to the land are at the core of the struggle. Tŝilhqot’in Chief Jimmy Lulua highlighted this point.

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

“Nothing was given to us; we had to fight for our language, fight for our land. If we don’t have land, we won’t have culture, identity, language — all that will disappear.”

The chiefs pointed out how enmeshed colonialism is with settlers’ understanding of what ‘knowledge’ is.

“[In the] colonized world they call it ‘research’ but for us the elders have already gone and spent their entire life specialized in one certain area. For us we don’t need to say they have a PhD to say they have knowledge.”

Chief Joe Alphonse expanded on this sentiment in an interview after the event.

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

“The way we teach our children in elementary, we sit in the classroom. That's not our way of teaching ... if you want to teach them about grass, take them out there. Reading is not our strong point — not that we aren’t as smart as everyone — but we learn in different ways.”

President Santa Ono agreed that UBC had a lot to learn as an institution.

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

“We must walk together, we can't continue the colonial way, where the president or the dean says ‘We’re going to do x.’ We must start from a position of humility,” he said.

The signing of the MOU is a step in the right direction toward decolonization. Alphonse called attention to how far Canada has come. He said that back in 1995 “if [he] even mentioned the word ‘Aboriginal rights’ [he] would get kicked out of the meeting.”

['auto'] Isabella Falsetti

“We [Indigenous peoples] have doctorates as well, generations of knowledge… as well as generational trauma,” Alphonse said. “It took a lot to obtain our land rights, to be treated like everybody else; before contact they called us savages… we have a lot of work to do.”