Baseball take home three games against Corban Warriors

After two wins and a loss on the road against Lewis Clarke State College, the UBC baseball team came out with three wins and a loss against the Corban University Warriors on its return home.

On Friday, the ’Birds took home both games, winning 3-2 and 2-1, the second of which ended in 14 innings. UBC's Tyler Yorko, Austen Butler and Braeden Allemann recorded runs in the first game.

In the second game, Corban took the lead in the top of the seventh after six scoreless frames before Butler equalized it in the eighth. Centre fielder Griffy Goyer picked up the ’Birds' winning run.

The ’Birds split Saturday’s games, winning the first at 13-5 before dropping a 4-2 decision. Due to the rain, both games got cut short to seven innings.

Corban took a 3-0 lead in the first frame when third baseman Kyle Killian singled to left field to drive home Josh Ebert. He returned home along with Jackson Smith two plays later on a triple by Benjamin Liogon.

Despite trailing, the ’Birds responded with an explosion of runs in the bottom of the first to pull ahead 7-3. Butler, Yorko, Mitch Robinson, Vinny Martin, Nick Rutckyj, Anthony Cusati and Anthony Olson each scored a run for UBC.

“Right away, we came out and swung the bats well, and no one panicked,” said UBC head coach Chris Pritchett. “We got some veteran leadership here.”

In the bottom of the next inning, Martin recorded his second run of the game on a line drive by Mackenzie Parlow to centre field, extending UBC’s lead to 8-3.

In the top of the third, Corban's Drew Loera doubled, batting in teammates Ethan Bragg and Killian. The ’Birds then answered in their half of the inning when Robinson walked to first base as the remaining ones were loaded, allowing Kyle McComb to return home. UBC led 9-5 before the game went into rain delay.

After the game resumed, the ’Birds had another impressive inning in the fifth, with runs from Olson, Butler, Yorko and Robinson. Robinson successfully stole the third base before running home on a fielder’s choice.

Pritchett believed that starting pitcher Brad Smith was “the key to the game.”

“With that weather, it was a tough assignment. [Smith’s] hand was wet and I was proud of the way he responded,” said Pritchett.

After the massive 13-5 win, the ’Birds looked to sweep Corban for the weekend. UBC took the initial lead in the bottom of the first when Robinson batted a sacrifice fly that allowed Olson to score.

In the top of the second, Warriors' Ethan Bragg recorded his second run of the day to equalize the game. UBC retook the lead in the bottom of the third, when Martin scored his third run of the day on a throwing error by Corban shortstop Cody Schmidt.

Unfortunately, the ’Birds were unable to preserve the lead as the Warriors picked up three more runs in the fourth and fifth frames to take the 4-2 win.

“We kept creating scoring opportunities and we’re usually pretty good,” said Pritchett. “I was pleased with the process … we just couldn’t cash in, so that was disappointing.”

UBC’s next matchup will be on Saturday, March 18 against Oregon Tech at Kiger stadium in Klamath, Oregon.